Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Golf club

jonfraun
Explorer C

So what exactly are the limits with golf clubs? Can I bring my hard case travel carrier with my clubs in place of my free checked bag even though its above 62 linear inches (which every golf bag is) but under 50 lbs? I'm not getting a very transparent answer from anyone I have talked to. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Golf club

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

I see from your posts in a few other threads that you have searched the Community and found different answers.  I found this thread which has a copy/paste from Southwest indicating the only measurement that applies to golf clubs is weight:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Travel-Policies/62-quot-Linear-dimension-for-golf-clubs-to-fly-fr...

"Golf clubs will be accepted in substitution of one of the two free pieces of checked baggage at no additional charge provided the bag does not exceed 50 pounds in weight."

And considering the policy that addresses golf clubs on southwest.com only calls out weight as an issue I do believe that is safe to ignore the size as long as you aren't using some super large container that obviously isn't a golf club case and trying to say it is.

For everyone's reference, here's the policy:

• Golf bag in hard-sided golf bag carrying case provided by Passenger, including clubs, balls, and shoes. Hooded golf bags or golf bags in a soft-sided carrying case provided by the Passenger will be subject to limited release.
    Note: Overweight charges will apply to golf bags exceeding 50 pounds.

If that still does not give you comfort you could send a private message to Southwest via Twitter or Facebook and ask there.  Then, print that response and take it with you to the airport.  Please do future travelers a favor and reply back with your experience after you travel.

--TheMiddleSeat

5Re: Golf club

zjohnw
Explorer C

I was just charged $125 for golf clubs in a hard case. The counter person measured height + width + length. ~78"

I have been traveling with same case since the 80's and have never been charged. Always keep it under 50lbs. I'll start driving if this is case

Re: 5Re: Golf club

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Unfortunately, your charge was accurate.  Your case must meet the dimension test of 62 inches or less.  Your hard case totaled 78 inches, resulting in an excessive size charge.  The fact that you have never been charged for the past 30+ years is irrelevant...you may have been lucky or the policy changed.  On any airline, always check before you fly.

From SWA's website:

Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free checked baggage allowance for you at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

ericraber
Explorer C

Seems like they have SEVERAL policies...this also from their website

Special Baggage and Sports Equipment | Southwest Airlines

No mentionef of 62"

ericraber_0-1697132388806.png

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@ericraber wrote:

No mentionef of 62"

ericraber_0-1697132388806.png

It's at the top of that section. Please learn to read before complaining. 

"If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply."

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Golf club

bdog
Explorer C

It seems the guidance on this has been updated. The weight requirement remains but the 62 inches in total size no longer results in excess size charges.

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/What-sports-equipment-can-I-bring?clk=HC_Bags_130...

If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight, excess weight charges will apply. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess size charges will not apply.