Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Government Travel

gregsd
Explorer C

SWA just lost another 1000.00.  Fifth time this year.  Because the government traveler has to use the Defense Travel System and SWA doesn't want to allow reservations to be made, nothing can be confirmed and guess what, SWA lost out.  I own stock and would love to provide SWA the business to save the taxpayers on fees for luggage, seats, etc. but because SWA will not change the way they do business and work with (instead of against others = right Mr. Richard Sweet), millions of dollars in lost revenue every year.  WOW.  Guess SWA doesn't need the additional revenue.  Good for them.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Government Travel

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

FYI, other federal agencies use different travel systems and are able to book Southwest flights. Specifically, I know Concur users are able to and Southwest has the contract rate on many routes which forces some government travelers to fly Southwest. 

I guess what you're experiencing is similar to Southwest not selling tickets through websites other than southwest.com?

Re: Government Travel

gregsd
Explorer C

Correct. We can use/book SWA too. The issue is with th reservation system not talking to the govvies side and the loss of revenue when we have to take a higher cost trip. I love to save money, fees etc and get the best bang for the taxpayer but because SWA won’t play nice in the sandbox, I’m forced to use other carriers at much more of the cost.  The millions SWA is missing out on is astounding.  Oh well not much I can do. SWA doesn’t even have a way for me to contact them to discuss. The last time I had to search for hours to find a corporate number and then got a employee who sure as heck wasn’t going to own anything more than the excuse of why ‘not’ something could happen rather than, I got this, I’ll keep in informed. I’m sure he is wiping the sweat off his brow because he has sooooo many other, more important tasks to do.  Gaining millions for the shareholders of SWA and saving millions for the taxpayers must not be a high priority.