Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND RUINED MY VACATION

gwinnettrental
Explorer C

If you are under staffed or unable to insure your   flight schedules then do not pretend to be about customer service.  After being delayed on every flight I took over the past week, flying into different airports, arriving at 2am in the morning on both flight segments, paying for hundreds of dollars in Uber rides since no one wants to pick you up at 2.00am, rebooking hotels, changing flights using more of frequent flyer points, buying outrageously priced airport food for my family stuck at the airport, standing in long lines praying one of the few SW employees working might be nice and help me, waiting on hold forever for assistance, still waiting when someone will assist me on my lost baggage, paying for early check in and not being able to sit with my family as one of the last to board due to change in flights, I could go on and on, but doubt anyone truly cares at Southwest.  This was suppose to be free flight using my over frequent flyer miles I had been saving, turned out to be one of the most expensive flight I have taken. 

Shame on you Southwest.

Joseph Felix

17 REPLIES 17

Re: HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND RUINED MY VACATION

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

This is a customer to customer forum. You are welcome to contact Southwest directly. I would suggest you include significantly more details about your trip, it's really impossible to understand what really happened based on what you stated here. The only thing I can sort of say based on what I could decipher is that flight changes as a result of Southwest changing a schedule should not have cost you any additional RR points. 

Contact Customer Relations

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

@gwinnettrental wrote:

If you are under staffed or unable to insure your   flight schedules then do not pretend to be about customer service. 

Have you ... been under a rock for the past 15 months? We are in a worldwide pandemic where flights literally dropped to zero for months on end, and people are just now starting to feel safe flying again. Schedules have been turned inside out and upside-down since *last* spring/summer. Most flights I have taken have been changed by the airline. It's the "new normal" as far as flying goes and something you have to deal with and adjust to. Also: I'm not sure what overpriced airport food or expensive Ubers have to do with Southwest. 

--Jessica

ECB
Explorer C

Everything he said was spot on. SW is unable to make schedules because, like everything, they are understaffed. Just another airline. Try to contact them in customer relations. What a joke!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ECB wrote:

Everything he said was spot on. SW is unable to make schedules because, like everything, they are understaffed. Just another airline. Try to contact them in customer relations. What a joke!!

Under-staffing had nothing to do with this week. There were three - count them three - major computer outages that impacted thousands -maybe tens of thousands of flights. What do you think the passengers on all those flights did??

Right, they called and totally clogged the phone lines

You do know there are non phone ways of reaching customer relations? If not, you do now.

kdbonds
Explorer C

I have contacted via email, and twitter...still nothing. I even spoke to a SW employee face to face about my luggage who assured me they would contact me once my luggage arrived AND gave me a number to call. I am still waiting after leaving several VM (the number, no one ever answers and I have tried at all hours of the day) and never received a call AT ALL. So?? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to her of your troubles, Joseph.

If your troubles happened last week, then there are reasons for it. Last week was probably the worst for Southwest since mid March 2020. It had three - count then three - different computer outages that disrupted everything.. Then there was the massive outbreak of thunderstorms that affected every airline.

Again, I am sorry to her of your troubles, but some things are not exactly under Southwest's control

ECB
Explorer C

Right on. Same here. Will never use SW on a connecting flight. All night in the airport. Better than "local hotel "  options.  Can NOT reach customer dervice. 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

From a customer stand point I believe you have many good points, but the rest of the airlines are in the same boat. Delays, cancellations, long waits on hold, etc... are the standard order of business in today's travel world. All that being said, there are some very simple rules I live by for flying for business or pleasure. 1.) Fly direct non-stop, 2.) if possible fly in the morning.

Why? non-stops are a no-brainer, especially when traveling for pleasure. connections, delays, bags etc... (I fly SW mainly because at BWI it gives me the ability to go almost anywhere I need to travel directly, except Canada.)

Morning flights that have issues allow for more hours and other flight options to get me where I need to go, the later the hour on any given day the more likely you will be SOL.   

ThisIsWhyIDrive
Explorer C

I like your solutions except they're nullified by what others already expressed in this thread--they constantly change your itinerary. So even if we select that 1) direct and 2) early in the day flight, we're not ending up with it when it comes time to fly.