Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Hawaii - NAAT test or PCR?

bjbbiker
Explorer C

The SWA website says you need a PCR test, but then it refers to the guidance put forth by the state of Hawaii and their trusted travel partners.  The Hawaiin website specifically states 

"The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS including tests or vaccinations verified through the state’s Digital Health Pass Partners – AZOVA, CLEAR and CommonPass."

So will SWA let you travel with a NAAT test or not?

Also just to confirm, you don't need a test to come back to the US, correct? 

thx

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Hawaii - NAAT test or PCR?

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Hawaii is the US.

bjbbiker
Explorer C

back to the mainland, think you know what i meant but thanks @bwallet 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Also, you don't need a test if you're fully vaccinated.

bjbbiker
Explorer C

my mom is raking my 9 yr old son. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@bjbbiker wrote:

my mom is raking my 9 yr old son. 

Ok, understood. In that case, I'd recommend following what Hawaii says, not Southwest.

Here's some additional information.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

If I'm not mistaken, it's not that SWA won't let you fly, you just have to quarantine if you get to Hawaii without the proper paperwork.  As things change quickly, keep checking the Hawaii tourism website which will link you up to what you need to know and do. 

MauiGal
Explorer A

Ok, so follow the guidelines on the Hawaii Safe Travels Site, certain NAAT tests are not allowed, but if you have a Walgreens nearby, their PCR and Rapid IDNOW tests are approved and free.  As for flying from the US State of Hawaii to the US mainland, no, you don't need to test.