Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Hawaii and COVID testing

gsking
Aviator C

I heard that too.    That would help in general, but not for these flights.

My test was monitored via Zoom during sample collection.    I suppose if you had a full video monitoring of the at-home process, which then sent an authorization code to the validation facility.  But I suspect that's not the direction that system is going. 

"For entertainment purposes only" 😉

@dfwskier wrote:

I heard on the evening news tonight that at home tests with results in 30 minutes are being made available.

If available, that would seem to be the best way to go.

Explorer C

Anyone have advice about how to test for the following?

November 23 Aus-Oak-HNL 

leaving OAK at 5:10 pm

November 24 HNL -KOA dep at 6:45. Pm

when is the earliest I can take my test? Is it within 72 hours of the HNL - KOA leg on the 24ty or the OAK-HNL leg on the 23rd.  
we have an overnight layover in HNL due to SWA schedule changes I am concerned we won’t get the test back in the window we have if it’s 72 hours from later date, HNL -KOA on nov 24.  Also, the 23 is a Monday.  Does anyone know if CVS processes tests on Sunday? 

LorrenT
Frequent Flyer A

Hi @1019922525 you can find out everything you need to know ahead of your trip to Hawaii by visiting this link. You should also receive an email communication from us with specific information and resources ahead of your journey. I hope you have a great trip! 

Lorren

Community Manager

Lew1
Explorer C

Hi @LorrenT  will SWA consider partnering with a testing solution ASAP in order to help customers fulfill their travel plans? As I see it now, many of us with holiday travel to from Bay Area to Hawaii will either need to cancel or rebook with another airline that offers Covid testing. Oakland Airport is overwhelmed with testing requests and is not a viable solution. Thank you. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Lew1 wrote:

Hi @LorrenT  will SWA consider partnering with a testing solution ASAP in order to help customers fulfill their travel plans? As I see it now, many of us with holiday travel to from Bay Area to Hawaii will either need to cancel or rebook with another airline that offers Covid testing. Oakland Airport is overwhelmed with testing requests and is not a viable solution. Thank you. 

As I said to another user earlier in this thread, your best bet is to make your suggestion directly to Southwest. This is a customer forum and you are not doing that here.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

gsking
Aviator C

Update 11/20:

1.  Some of the Vault tests were accepted, tested, and replied within 24 hours of receipt.  So 48 hours of taking the test.  Mine was marked INVALID. These tests were taken over Zoom, with verified serial numbers.  I'm assuming they screwed up and didn't properly document the zoom call. Their phone line is busy and they aren't returning messages.  I'm on hold and probably will be all day.

2.  More importantly, Hawaii has now changed the rules so that they require the negative test result BEFORE taking off on that final leg.     So you've lost 6 or so hours from your 72 hour window to get the test completed.  This is supposed to be implemented "next week".

3.  CVS now says their tests will take 3-4 days to complete.

So my suggestion.  Skip Hawaii.  I'm likely to cancel my January trip.  It's not worth the hassle.  SWA flies to Florida for cheap.  Hawaii has literally designed a system that has no solution by requiring tests from certified testing locations who cannot certify the result will be provided in time.   And then the most promising option to mail it in manages to screw it up royally and not answer the phone... at all. 

Luckily I had a backup test. 

gsking
Aviator C

Final update...

https://beatofhawaii.com/latest-testing-rules-fail-hawaii-vacations-upended/?utm_source=rss&utm_medi...

Skip Hawaii.

Our hotel didn't even want to accept the tests we were forced to take at the airport because CVS lost three tests (completely...still no results).  And they won't let you quarantine there.  The attitude of many of the people is less than friendly.  At least the ones not getting paid for by tourism.

So yes, as of tomorrow, Hawaii is in for a big disaster.

Even the manta rays didn't want to come hang out with the humans last night.  Time and effort for a night dive wasted.

Good luck to anyone forced to come out here. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Thanks for sharing the details of your disaster. Hopefully it will help others.

It does sound like a real mess.

I wonder what Hawaii plans to do when lots of businesses permanently go belly up?

travelbug78
Explorer C

My family and I are scheduled to leave on December 27th @7am. We scheduled an appointment @9am on the 26th at the Oakland Airport. When we scheduled it, it was during the time that they said they can provide results in 15 min. Now it looks like they no longer offer that. Results in 24 hours is the fastest which is cutting it close for us. I'm getting stressed out all over again since I can't seem to find other test sites that (1) allows us to schedule more than 3 days out or (2) open on Christmas Eve or day. If anyone knows of one in the bay area, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Southwest, if you can partner up with a test center like all other airlines, it would be so helpful. I love you but sometimes I wished I had booked with those airlines instead. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Good suggestion, but since this is a customer to customer forum you are not making it to Southwest here.

Here is how you can do so:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...