Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Hawaii and COVID testing

travelbug78
Explorer C

Thanks @dfwskier . I will be sure to submit one via your link. 🙂

Hawaii and COVID testing

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

At present, home testing still has some elements of a false negative and false positive.  So the best option is to get a test from a local testing site, (which still has a small element of false) to get the results, BUT, you must self-quarantine from that point forward.  Have it with you before you go and it should be alright.  BUT, since this was posted things have changed.  Always keep checking.  I have a scheduled flight in February, so I'm looking daily. 

cimmo
Explorer C

I have a flight on Mon Dec 21st at 5:10pm, that is a very unfortunate time, according to the Hawaii covid travel safe website you need a test NOT older than 72h prior departure of the last leg, however to do that you would have to take the test Fri not earlier than 5:10pm is that right?

Vault Health says you need to ship on Friday with last air pick up time, which our UPS store says is 4:30pm, that puts us in a spot where our test would be like ~74h old.

Anyone knows if Hawaii health official do look at sample time VS official departure time?

gsking
Aviator C

They look at sample test time.   So you're in a bind. 

Vault may not be overwhelmed as badly then, but I wouldn't count on it.   

A more likely hope is that Hawaii relaxes the 72 hours to 96 hours.  It has been proposed.   I suspect it will be approved. 

PS... I'm home now, and ironically am being told to quarantine since I traveled more than 150 miles.   Sigh... we get what we vote for. 

Next trip to Hawaii set for January.   Hopefully it's sorted out by then. 

opamp515
Explorer C

I believe Vault doesn't have a time stamp - just a day stamp on their results. So you should be good taking it anytime on Fri. I got this information on a tripadvisor forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k13417233-o20-Vault_Covid_testing-Hawaii.html

cheryll
Explorer C

It is getting more and more difficult for those of us coming from the East coast to get a test done within the 72 hours. No one is guaranteeing a 72 hour turn over, not cvs, not walgreens, not vault. In addition, Vault has stated that their system will likely not work for flights departing on Tuesdays and Wednesdays due to UPS not working on Sunday.

This would be SOOOO much easier if Southwest got onboard with United, American, Alaska, and Hawaiian Airlines and offered a the Hawaii approved NAAT rapid test at the airports in California. 

Typically Southwest is very consumer friendly, but I'm not sure why they aren't trying to help us out with NAAT approved rapid testing at airports. 

gsking
Aviator C

Agreed.  Hawaii has dropped the coconut on this one, so it seems the next best option is the airlines.    It's frustrating when the news stories I read about this getting fixed mention HAL or AA.

I have a flight for January to Maui, and I'm not optimistic.  I'm tempted to save some money and pick a different destination before flights go up.

And ironically, after 50 or so flights, and one RT to Hawaii, with no COVID...someone decided to stop by and bring it to my house a week later.  So now I can't smell my treasured plumeria room fragrance I brought home with me.  Oh well, time to go eat all the unpalatable food in the pantry now that I can't taste it.

Maybe Hawaii will follow suit of Iceland and let those of us with a documented positive test of Covid in the past avoid the hassles of a negative test.

This is one of my favored resources on current events. 

https://beatofhawaii.com/visitors-cancel-as-governor-wont-change-rules-who-pays-quarantine/

Some possible good news?

gsking
Aviator C