Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Hawaii and COVID testing

gsking
Aviator C

Looks like things are opening up (so to speak) for Hawaii.  Starting on 10/15, we'll be able to visit, with a 72-hour current Covid test. 

Apparently, some airlines are offering testing, or access to testing.  And some airports are offering it...some for a fee and others (Oakland) appears to be free.

I'm going for Thanksgiving, but flying out of SJC.  I don't see info on their policies yet.

Some of our party will be traveling through OAK, so I suppose they can get testing while on layover.  Even more of a gamble than playing the 72 hour waiting game and hoping no false positive.

I'm sure this will unfold over the coming weeks, but if anyone has any information (especially specifically related to SWA and SJC), it's appreciated.

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Hawaii and COVID testing

cfrieday
Explorer A

Hoping that they start doing for all flights to Hawaii.  We leave on 12/28/20 but our flight is out of Denver.   Hoping the the testing will become avail as not sure how to go about getting one via a diagnostic place that is timely and also the correct type. 

gsking
Aviator C

Connecting through OAK?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Here is my solution to both of you.  Since you need a negative test 72 hours prior to your leaving for Hawaii, get the test in your hometown 72 hours prior to leaving and take it with you.  If it's positive, DON'T FLY.  If it's negative, take that report with you and be on your way at ease the entire route and stay in Hawaii.  

1984mf
Explorer C

How does that work? Don't you have to be on the Flight within the 72 hours? And with the demand right now I cant find a certified facility that will guarantee results within 72 hours.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Not sure where you are at?  I have friends all over the country who travel, and we talk, and they all can get a test upon their returns and within 2 days, 48 hours, the results.  One, a doctor friend, gets a rapid test and knows within hours upon return.  According to the President, there should be millions of free testing for anyone that wants one anywhere in the country?  

gsking
Aviator C

That's just it.  I'm sure I can find a potential test site, but I don't feel comfortable that they will feel obligated to get it done.  If it were affiliated with the airport or airline, I'd have more confidence.

Apparently, Hawaii has an official site..

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

Looks like only Alaska Airlines and Oakland airport have anything specifically targeting Hawaii.

A quick check of Walgreens...all full.  Only allows reservation 3 days out, so not useful for a planned trip.

CVS :  On the list but results take "2-3 days".  Um, that won't work well, Hawaii.  Are you bad at converting hours to days?

Quest diagnostics...none available.

Carbon Health...only in Seattle.

Vault Heath mail order...looks promising.   But done by mail/UPS.  Slightly risky.

So, out of the entire list of "approved" testing, I have one mail order option, and one drive-thru that I can't count on.

I didn't hear the President say there were millions of free tests, but I can't find them.  Hence...my comments here.

Of course, Southwest just cancelled half or more of the flights to Hawaii in November, so we might not even make it.  They moved our flights to different days, and it took an hour to get them sorted out...from direct flights to now connecting flights with 1-2 stops.  I get to fly from Hawaii to Oahu to Maui, just to leave the state.  Fun.

Lisaren80
Explorer C

We are leaving from Houston to Oakland on the 27th and from Oakland to Maui on Dec 28th. Anyone have any recommendations on where we could get tested in order to meet the 72 hr requirement?

CVS/Walgreens only allow appointment 3 days in advance, and on the CVS website, it says test results will take 3-4 days which would be outside that 72 hour window. 

The other option would be to schedule a drive thru appointment at the Oakland airport but I checked and the next available appointment is on Dec 31st so that wouldn’t work for our schedule. 

I guess the only other option is the in-home testing but given that it’s around the holidays, there could be delivery delays? 

Anyone else having this issue? Will Southwest partner with any testing place, similar to United and other airlines, to make this process  more convenient for its passengers? 

gsking
Aviator C

I got my tests done today.   Yep, two of them.   One by Vault Health, one at CVS.  Both were easy.   No charge at CVS, Vault just dropped from $150 to $120.

There was a pile of packages at UPS waiting to go to Vault.  Yep, just at ONE STORE.   I bet they will be backlogged, but they seem efficient and will hopefully handle it.   CVS likely won't have the same relative spike in testing, since they are testing for more than just Hawaii.   I'm hoping CVS keeps up their reported quicker turnaround. 

Remember  the 72 hours is from time of departure of your flight segment to Hawaii.  Not when you land, not of a connecting flight.   The time your plane leaves the mainland. 

I'll update when I can. 

Oakland may no longer be a good option.  See below. 

They also talk about enforcing the rule to have the test result BEFORE you take off.   Not sure how they can,  without loosening that 72 hour window.  And as I read it, it's just a recommendation so far. 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cityhealth-urgent-care-changes-covid-testing-protocol-at-oa...

dfwskier
Aviator A

I heard on the evening news tonight that at home tests with results in 30 minutes are being made available.

If available, that would seem to be the best way to go.