Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Help me understand.

Elwoodmike
Explorer C

Let me start by saying, I love SWA. I fly with SWA around 60 flights a year and Prefered and have a companion pass. 

I bought 5 tickets(with my SWA credit card) for my family to go to my nieces graduation at CU in Boulder on May 11th. I bought the tickets back in early April. One of the tickets was for my 90 year old father who has since taken ill. He suffered a heart attack and had pneunomia and the flu all at the same time. He was in intensive care for 7 days then rehab for 2 weeks. Thank God he is OK.

He's not able to fly. I called SWA and explained, they told me to call customer relations, I did. They told me they would hold the funds for a future flight for my father, I explained that he might not ever get on a plane again. She very nicly told me the only way they could credit my card(the one it was booked on) is to get a note from my dads doctor saying he is not able to fly.

I dont get it.

Thanks for listening.

Mike 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Help me understand.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sounds like Southwest is requesting something to validate the special circumstance refund request of a non-refundable fare. Getting a doctor's letter shouldn't be difficult, doctor's offices do it all the time.

Elwoodmike
Explorer C

Agree, Thank you

cinstoy66
Explorer C

SWA is the only airline that I know of, that will refund your money within 24 hrs of the flight. They will credit and hold it for one year. Im sorry for your dad being unable to fly but things happen in life that arent fair. At least you have him, and the money sould be the least of the worries or cares.

Djustineh
Explorer C

I'm sorry to hear your father is ill.... but, I had a similar situation happen earlier in the year when booked on a flight with Delta due to no flight availability with SWA - (stupid move from the start,seeing as though I usually ONLY fly SWA.). I ended up needing to change my flight WITH delta due to a family emergency.  Even with a doctor note provided to them for the proof of family illness it still cost over 150.00 just to change the flight - I tried to cancel,  but that was not an option... I would have lost the whole ticket seeing as though it was "non refundable".   Southwest is VERY reasonable when it comes to their rebooking policies, and from my experience - other airlines are not as lenient with this even WITH medical documentation.  If southwest is willing to refund with a doctors note, then I think that is more than fair.  They may even possibly issue a credit to you or someone else who may be able to use the credit in the future.  Good luck to you.  

Elwoodmike
Explorer C

Thanks for responding. I fly over 60 times a year exclusivly with SWA. I'm not looking for my money back just a credit to use on future flights. Being that my father will never be able to fly again it's lost money.

Djustineh
Explorer C

Considering the circumstances, I feel as though SW will reissue a credit to you or someone else who will use it within a year - especially since you only exclusively fly with them - and even if you were not an exclusive customer -  (you have an unfortunate situation).  They are very loyal to their "loyal" customers...and this is another reason that I'll only fly SWA!  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Are you unable to get the doctor's note? Sounds like they'll give you a refund if you do that.

Elwoodmike
Explorer C

I have a note not trying to get the email address for customer relations.........can you help me?

franktravel
Aviator B

If you are looking for a refund write to: 

Southwest Airlines
Refunds Department
P.O. Box 36649
Dallas, Texas 75235-1649