Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Help with DEN BSO

justcallmenolan
Explorer C

Anyone able to contact Denver Baggage Service Operations? They are not answering their phones or voicemails for five straight days. The 800 number for lost baggage is answered promptly, but for three straight days they have told me that DEN BSO is not answering their phones and station messages appear to go unanswered. I’ve also had SMF BSO reach out with no response.

Our 3x checked bags (able to track using AirTags) are sitting in Southwest Technical Operations Hangar on northwest side of DIA. We checked them 26 Dec, and flight was promptly cancelled. DEN BSO informed me that day they would proceed to SMF as checked on next available flight. We rebooked for 30 Dec. The next three days, our bags were moved multiple places around DIA property, ending up at the Hangar on 29 Dec. I drove to DEN BSO that day to see what our bags status is. Agent said our bags were confirmed to be loaded with our flight the next morning. We boarded a half-full flight with only a dozen checked bags; our bags were not moved from the Hangar. We have been in SMF area for three days, calling DEN BSO and 800 number every day, and our bags have not moved. DEN BSO is completely non-responsive and 800 number cannot reach them. They have held our bags at DEN for 8 days now. Any help is welcome. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Help with DEN BSO

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I suspect if they answered every phone call no actual work of getting bags back to their owners would occur. Patience is going to be required as the work occurs. 

--TheMiddleSeat

justcallmenolan
Explorer C

Interesting premise of your response. If DEN BSO does not receive/acknowledge any communications on intent of baggage disposition (e.g. move onward to checked destination or keep at origin airport), how do they know what to do with the baggage? Do they just do what they feel is best? As stated in my first post, DEN BSO gave me two different answers as to expected disposition of our baggage: 1) all baggage would go to destination, and 2) our bags would be checked to our specific flight. Neither has happened, and i am reaching end of my reservation. I will be returning to DEN the day after tomorrow and expect to get my bags with zero delay, if they have not yet moved. How many days do you advise is the limit of our “patience”? I don’t mind being given a time table for resolution, but being given information that turns out to be patently false is an unacceptable form of “customer service” that SW claims as fame.

Jean_Jasinski
Adventurer C

You were on a half-full flight YESTERDAY?  I am surprised that not every seat was taken either by original ticket holders or by stranded passengers.

justcallmenolan
Explorer C

Jean, correct. The gate agent announced only 81 passengers on our 30 Dec flight, departed DEN at 5:05am. Only about a dozen checked bags. That is the point I realized that SW has a problem…if half-full flights with virtually no checked bags are flying…and you still have a hangar full of outbound bags that aren’t moving anywhere…and there is no communication with any customers on the disposition of their bags…then there is a breakdown somewhere.

Update to my original post: Today the 800 number rep (Gabriel) said that he’s hearing from other passengers that Denver is only going to FedEx bags, not send them onward or allow local passengers to just pick them up…but he clarified that is not a stated Southwest policy, only what he’s hearing, and that he has no means of communication with DEN BSO to clarify.