Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How can I find 737 Max route schedules?

AndSoItGoes
Explorer A

I know that I can click on individual flight numbers and see the *scheduled* type of plane, but since Southwest says it can substitute plane types at its discretion, I want to be sure I am not flying on a route where the 737 is in service.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: How can I find 737 Max route schedules?

jksobonya
Aviator A

The way you have described is the only way I know of to check your aircraft and see if you are scheduled to fly on a MAX or not. Southwest has info on MAX news and updates here:

https://www.southwest.com/737-max/

And you might find this helpful:

If you or your travelers don't want to fly on a 737 MAX:

• Through May 31, 2021, Customers booked on a 737 MAX 8 may contact Southwest, within 3 days of the Customer’s original scheduled departure date, to request a change to a flight onboard our 737-700 or 737-800 aircraft, subject to seat availability. Southwest will not charge a fare difference for the requested flight change so long as the new itinerary also operates within 3 days of the original scheduled departure date and operates between the same origin and destination cities; otherwise, any applicable fare differences will be charged. Please be aware the flight a Customer changes to may, ultimately, depart on a 737 MAX 8, as aircraft type always remains subject to change per Southwest’s Contract of Carriage.
  • If a Customer chooses not to travel, they may cancel their ticket and the funds will follow the ticketing rules for their reservation:
    • Refundable tickets may be refunded back to their original form of payment.
    • Nonrefundable tickets will be converted to reusable travel funds for the originally ticketed Customer, in accordance with Southwest’s travel fund policies.

--Jessica

AndSoItGoes
Explorer A

Thank you jksobonya for that additional information. Of course, the catch is that even if they move you from a Max to another plane a few days out, they can swap a Max for that plane at the last minute. Hopefully someone at Southwest will know on which routes the Max has been deployed.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@AndSoItGoes wrote:

Thank you jksobonya for that additional information. Of course, the catch is that even if they move you from a Max to another plane a few days out, they can swap a Max for that plane at the last minute. Hopefully someone at Southwest will know on which routes the Max has been deployed.

I don't think it's that simple, unfortunately. I am sure the MAX planes are spread out across the country - I doubt they are all in one portion of the country, for example.

--Jessica

gsking
Aviator C

Are you vaccinated?   If not,  you best stay at home.   You're much more likely to die of Covid than die in a Max crash.  And that was before all the upgrades to the plane. 

Man, they really really need to start teaching statistics in schools.  

jksobonya
Aviator A

Heh, I'd bet that you are more likely to die in a car crash a few miles from your home than dying of either a MAX crash *or* COVID-19 ... but what do I know 😉 

--Jessica

gsking
Aviator C

@jksobonya wrote:

Heh, I'd bet that you are more likely to die in a car crash a few miles from your home than dying of either a MAX crash *or* COVID-19 ... but what do I know 😉 

--Jessica

It depends on your age.   More people died of Covid than car crashes,  but most were old. 

There's no need to alter the statistics.   Just tell the truth... and don't listen to CNN.

I ran these numbers a while ago.   Off the top of my head,  it was at least  12x safer flying a Max than Covid... before the upgrades and with pilots unaware of how to deal with a manageable situation.   Now,  with SWA flying upgraded planes, there's no logical reason to have concern. 

A better Covid analogy... young people are more likely to die from a day of skiing than from Covid.   One in a million. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I'm not sure how manageable it was. When the Max was first grounded, I heard a couple of Southwest pilots making jokes about Ethiopian. I've flown Ethiopian before, and they are a world class airline with well trained pilots. It wasn't the pilots.

However, the problems have supposedly been fixed. I recently bought BA. Then this morning, I'm listening to CNBC, and I heard that the newest Max builds have been grounded. Ugh!

AndSoItGoes
Explorer A

gsking posted: "Are you vaccinated?   If not,  you best stay at home.   You're much more likely to die of Covid than die in a Max crash.  And that was before all the upgrades to the plane. 

Man, they really really need to start teaching statistics in schools."

------------

I asked if anyone knew on which routes Southwest has deployed the Max. I did not ask advice from strangers on how to live my life. It's unfortunate they don't teach manners or reading comprehension in schools.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You also stated you wanted to "be sure I am not flying on a route where the 737 is in service".

Since Southwest only flies the 737 then I guess you are out of luck.

--TheMiddleSeat