Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How can SWA claim weather for cancellation?

Toast1972
Explorer C

My flight was cancelled due to weather. My question is how can SWA claim weather cancellation when flights are taking off from my departure airport and landing at my destination (direct flight). Other airlines didn’t cancel due to weather but it seems like SWA called it a cancellation due to their follow-on leg after my destination. I could see where weather could be claimed for those destinations. The crazy thing is the “second leg” of the flight that departs from my destination wasn’t cancelled. I can’t help but feel like SWA has operated less than honest with me. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How can SWA claim weather for cancellation?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Where was your plane coming from?

If it was coming to a place with bad weather, it might have been cancelled due to weather at that place.

If the plane can't get to you thru the intermediate stop, it's a "cancelled due to weather " situation -- unless the airline can find a spare plane and crew to take over.

Toast1972
Explorer C

My departure airport was the origination location for the flight. If the plane and crew weren’t available due to weather then it seems like that would have been known the day before and communicated.

bec102896
Aviator A

Was this 6am-8am flight? If not odds are you were the 1st flight if a given flight number but it still comes from somewhere else. Example flight 1 terminates in HOU and goes back out at flight 2.

Also keep in mind even if your the 1st flight of the day your crew or plane may have been stuck overnight somewhere else due to weather and Southwest may not have had a backup crew or plane at your departure airport meaning they have to cancel your flight.