Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How do I get a refund?

jkolenp
Explorer C

Having just returned from a nightmare trip with my 84-year old mother who is wheelchair-bound because of a broken hip, I just want to know how can I get a refund of the return half of what should have been a simple trip from Chicago to DC?  With Southwest, without any notice whatsoever, when we arrived at the airport two hours before boarding yesterday, we were told that our flight was cancelled and we should go home and travel some other day.  Having checked Mom out of a SNF to travel, returning was not an option, so we endured connections, re-routings and further delays and ended up at BWI at 8pm, instead of DCA at 2:45.  Then, this morning, again for no reason whatsoever, SW cancelled my return flight and claimed the ONLY way to get to Chicago was to take a flight through Atlanta and endure another day-long delay.  I went to United, bought a full fare ticket, leaving at the same time as my cancelled flight was not allowed to leave (supposedly due to weather), and now I just want a refund of the return half of my ticket.  What is wrong with this airline?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How do I get a refund?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jkolenp wrote:

Having just returned from a nightmare trip with my 84-year old mother who is wheelchair-bound because of a broken hip, I just want to know how can I get a refund of the return half of what should have been a simple trip from Chicago to DC?  With Southwest, without any notice whatsoever, when we arrived at the airport two hours before boarding yesterday, we were told that our flight was cancelled and we should go home and travel some other day.  Having checked Mom out of a SNF to travel, returning was not an option, so we endured connections, re-routings and further delays and ended up at BWI at 8pm, instead of DCA at 2:45.  Then, this morning, again for no reason whatsoever, SW cancelled my return flight and claimed the ONLY way to get to Chicago was to take a flight through Atlanta and endure another day-long delay.  I went to United, bought a full fare ticket, leaving at the same time as my cancelled flight was not allowed to leave (supposedly due to weather), and now I just want a refund of the return half of my ticket.  What is wrong with this airline?

If Southwest canceled the flight, and you didn't rebook, then you should be able to contact customer service to get a refund. 

Sorry to hear about your travels being interrupted, it sounds like weather was pretty bad on the East Coast at that time, that sounds like a rough few days.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: How do I get a refund?

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry you had trouble with your recent experience I would reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 and they can look in to the available options based on what occurred.

hope this helps

Blake