Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How does "Wanna Get Away" Cancellation work?

Fideauxdon
Explorer C

OK. I'm not an expert on Southwest cancellation policies, so I need your help.

I purchased two "Wanna Get Away" tickets for flights from Orlando to Charlotte on January 27, 2020 Flights were on May 13, 2020. I have to cancel because of the Coronavirus problems.

When I cancel, I know that the tickets are non-refundable, but the Southwest policy says that the money will go into a fund that will have to be used this year.

The trip that I had to postpone was a tour that started on May 13, 2020. I'm now booked on a tour that starts on May 13, 2021.

Does that mean that I can purchase tickets late in December with the funds for flights to Charlotte on May 13, 2020, or does it mean that the actual flights have to be made before the end of this year? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How does "Wanna Get Away" Cancellation work?

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

Hello,

Your travel funds are valid for one year from the date of purchase - not the date of the flights. So, if you booked a flight on January 27, 2020, the money you paid is valid for up to one year from that date, January 27, 2021. If you cancel your flight you can use the money in the form of travel funds until January 27, 2021. Your flights must be completed by that date as well, so no, you could not use the funds for a flight in May 2021.

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

I WOULD NOT cancel your flights. Why? Delta has announced it is cutting 40% of flights. For United it's 50%. Southwest has not yet announced cuts, but if other are airlines are doing so, I have to believe it is considering doing so.

So if your flight is cancelled, Southwest will give you the option of getting  a refund.

You have two months til your flight. Why not wait to see if it gets cancelled?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Another vote for not canceling yet, wait until May if the flight hasn't already been canceled by Southwest. The only reason not to wait would be if you were going to book another flight for later in the year anyway and didn't want to tie up more cash. 

--TheMiddleSeat