Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: How far in advance are flights being cancelled?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@MauiWowi57 wrote:

To quote the old Irishman, "The name's O'Toole, not O'Fool." I always plan to fly into a cruise port the night before; and was already planning to fly in TWO nights before this time. 

I've been flying zillions of miles for six decades, I'm understanding of weather and (most) maintenance issues.  Flying SWA this past February was rough due to the "maintenance issues," which were compounded onto legitimate weather delays in Florida.

The good thing here is I COULD drive this one; but I'd like to know more than 48 hours in advance. 

The more I prepare, the luckier I get. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@MauiWowi57 Southwest just announced that they've completed the schdule updates through August 5th.  Blog post is here.

Customer | Home airport DCA

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

PVD-MCO-MSY

fortunately 5 hours not too bad and the family members are a teacher with three student children so no work the next day.  But they do have a 2 hour drive home from MSY so hopefully it won’t be weather delayed on top of the schedule delay.

I am so very used to delays that they rarely phase me any more, but I know they can be frustrating.  Hopefully that you are in the clear, @emcadam2 !

emcadam2
Explorer A

@CareforNOLA It's funny... I, too heard from SW today. A flight that was originally changed from max 8 to 800 was switched to a 700. However, it's been sold out for weeks. So, they called me to let me know it's been overbooked. Fortunately, there was actually a better flight option (saves over an hour of travel time, but didnt pick it originally because it cost more) so i got switched onto that one and they're going to send me a $200 voucher! I'm impressed. Lots of complains about SW's service lately... first time flying with them and I'm very happy!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@emcadam2 wrote:

@CareforNOLA It's funny... I, too heard from SW today. A flight that was originally changed from max 8 to 800 was switched to a 700. However, it's been sold out for weeks. So, they called me to let me know it's been overbooked. Fortunately, there was actually a better flight option (saves over an hour of travel time, but didnt pick it originally because it cost more) so i got switched onto that one and they're going to send me a $200 voucher! I'm impressed. Lots of complains about SW's service lately... first time flying with them and I'm very happy!

I have a lengendary oversell story on one of the other guys going OAK-DFW-ORD and due to oversell on that OAK-DFW route, they put us on a direct SFO-ORD route, gave us bookoo vouchers, paid a taxi to take us to SFO, we made the standby on the earlier flight that I originally had passed on since it was ~$50 higher and beat our luggage back to ORD.

The taxi made it to SFO from OAK by going down the bay one bridge (we never would have made it in an hour across the Oakland Bay Bridge) and that guy was really moving - i refer to it as the first leg of our flight he was going so fast - and the fare was over $100 paid directly by voucher, I think we made gate (OAK)-to-gate (SFO) in an hour to catch the standby flight in the early evening.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.