Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How to file a claim for cancelled flight

mlg944
Explorer C

I had my 2nd leg of flight cancelled on 12/25/2022, what a disaster !!

We had a 2 leg flight from Cabo with a layover in Houston HOU Hobby to 

get final leg of flight to our final destination at Fort Lauderdale FLL airport.

Arrived in Houston to find out our flight to Fort Lauderdale FLL was

delayed, then delayed more, then delayed more, then delayed more, then cancelled.

Then flight was rescheduled and delayed more, then delayed more, then cancelled.

On hold for over 3 hours with southwest customer service, then call was dropped.

Waited in line to talk to gate agent for multiple hours and hours only to be told

our flight was cancelled even thought on the gate monitor it showed as departing at 

1:15am with arrival in FLL at 3:30am.

We later found out that Southwest knew for hours before hand the flight was cancelled but failed to notify customers that the flight was cancelled, still showed as scheduled on gate monitors on on Southwest App and website under flight status.

Also we received many text messages from Southwest that were very old and not current to reflect the current status of the flight, Phone App was showing different flight status then the text messages, the text messages were out of date and reflecting status of flights many hours ago ??

The gate agent told us she could not get us rebooked on another flight until 12/31.

Hotel at final destination FLL Fort Lauderdale charged me for the 12/25 night I had reserved but could not get to because of cancelled flight.

Spent the Night stranded at Houston (HOU hobby) airport, since Southwest said they could not get us into a hotel room.

Spent our own money to eat dinner and breakfast, and lunch at airport.

Booked another flight on United Airlines to get to FLL Fort Lauderdale our same final destination as with Southwest.

Had to pay for a Uber ride to the Houston Bush IAH airport to get the United Airlines flight.

I want to file a claim to get compensated  for all our cost that was related to the Southwest flight being cancelled. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to file a claim for cancelled flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

mlg944
Explorer C

That website link you provided is how to cancel a flight reservation.

I wanted to know what website or process to use to file a complaint to get reimbursed for all our costs incurred due to Southwest canceling our flight ?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@mlg944 wrote:

That website link you provided is how to cancel a flight reservation.

I wanted to know what website or process to use to file a complaint to get reimbursed for all our costs incurred due to Southwest canceling our flight ?

Ooops. Sorry, wrong link.

Try this one instead

https://www.southwest.com/traveldisruption/?clk=CALLVOLUME_HPHERO_221227

mlg944
Explorer C

Thank You !

do not accept under $10k and triple damages otherwise you encourage SW criminal behavior

ascottyb
Explorer C

This is based on airline experts reporting of adjusted for inflation last airline meltdown{1989} that DOT intervened. People who accepted vouchers or cost of ticket lost out.

We witnessed 8 hours Xmas night SW Gate agents adamantly refuse lodging, food, access to medicine, uber, taxi, car rental.any form of rebooking on SW and emphasized SW does not cooperate booking travel with ANY other airlines,car rentals, trains, or buses. They then started to issue fraudulent hotel{all full for days} vouchers. fraudulent flight vouchers{when legally due cash refund demanded},and 10's of thousands of fraudulent "your flight has been rebooked " documents that SW agents denied. AFTER 8 HOURS OF WATCHING SW AGENTS GASLIGHT PASSENGERS AND LAUGH AMONG THEMSELVES ABOUT PASSENGERS DISTRESS. WE NOW REALIZE  from CEO video SW efforts are solely to fund SW oligarch management and CEO salary and perks, congressional lobbyists, and false advertising. DO NOT ACCEPT ANY COMPENSATION BELOW 10 THOUSAND$ PER PERSON PER FLIGHT PUNITIVE AND TRIPLE DAMAGE FOR EXPENSES AND LOST TIME.

Re: do not accept under $10k and triple damages otherwise you encourage SW criminal behavior

floridaguy
Aviator C

One thing that you can do is to use your credit card's dispute process if you believe that you were charged for something that you did not receive.  That policy will be primary over any rules set by a vendor.

You have a limited amount of time to file your dispute, so consider all of your options.

Re: do not accept under $10k and triple damages otherwise you encourage SW criminal behavior

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

You have a limited amount of time to file your dispute, so consider all of your options.

For the cards I own, you have 60 days from the date of the statement the charge appeared on.