Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How to see if my IP will fit?

nancyhammel
Explorer C

We need to bring our instant pot which is 11 1/2 inches tall. I need to know if we need to put it in a checked bag or whether it will fit in the overhead bin or under the seat. I’m concerned about it getting jostled in a checked bag.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to see if my IP will fit?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Do you know if you will be on a -700 or -800 aircraft, and are you planning to bring it in a box or loose in a shopping bag?

10" by 16" is the advertised section on the overhead bins but a little bigger will still fit in there - the height of the box is fine, the bins are 24" deep, it's mainly a question of the dimension as you look at it.

If you had it loose, it might fit under a middle seat as well but maybe not with the box?

Anyway - if you have it on you, can you measure the other dimensions so we see the whole picture for w x h x d? Also see if you are scheduled for a 700 or 800 series where the bins are larger on the 800 so I'd be more confident in that case.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: How to see if my IP will fit?

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Great question, Nancy. Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10 x 16 x 24 inches, so if you can comply with that, you're welcome to bring anything permissible by the TSA. We look forward to seeing you onboard!

Nicole
Community Manager