Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How to travel with LOTS of tablets

dandeibert
Explorer C

Hello.  Thanks in advance for answering my question.

I'm traveling for a seminar where we will be using 30-40 Android Fire Tablets.  First, I want to make sure it's possible to take them and then I'm wondering what I would need to do to travel with them.

I was thinking about purchasing a band-type "flight case" which I'm sure is going to be over 50lbs.  Would I just roll that case to the ticket counter to pay for it?

Also open to any other thoughts or suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How to travel with LOTS of tablets

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I believe that will be a problem checking the case due to the lithium batteries?

Best to contact SWA in advance and get guidance(and document who gives you the guidance) before you show up at the airport for travel.

Safe Travels

dandeibert
Explorer C

Yeah, I thought about that.

I know you CAN check your iPad or other tablets, I just don't know if you can check 30 of them.  🙂

I kind of thought by posting here, I WAS asking the airline.  🙂  Guess I will have to make the call.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dandeibert wrote:

I'm traveling for a seminar where we will be using 30-40 Android Fire Tablets.  First, I want to make sure it's possible to take them and then I'm wondering what I would need to do to travel with them.

I was thinking about purchasing a band-type "flight case" which I'm sure is going to be over 50lbs.  Would I just roll that case to the ticket counter to pay for it?

I travel with the kids electronics all in my roller bag. Will they all fit in one somewhat heavy bag?

https://travelpro.com/products/crew%E2%84%A2-versapack%E2%84%A2-max-carry-on-expandable-rollaboard%C...

Hopefully you have something with high quality wheels due to the weight.

I would bring it on as your overhead item as long as it isn't excessively heavy.

I would absolutely not check it as luggage. Batteries, damage, taking the scenic route, other issues might arise.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dandeibert wrote:

Here's my actual suitcase that I load up with the electronics. The wheels are very high quality and work great even if it is heavily loaded.

https://travelpro.com/collections/carry-on-luggage/products/platinum%C2%AE-elite-21-expandable-carry...

I did get it on sale but having used it since then I think it's worth this price. The design features and durability are amazing.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

be careful on the checked baggage ..

From SW's Contract of Carriage ( any bolding is mine )

Limitations of Liability
(1) General. The liability, if any, of the Carrier for loss of, damage to, or delay in the delivery
of Checked or carryon Baggage and/or its contents, with the exception of wheelchairs,
mobility aids, and assistive devices used by a Qualified Individual with a Disability, is
limited to the proven amount of damage or loss, but in no event shall be greater than
Three Thousand Eight Hundred and 00/100 dollars ($3,800.00) per fare paying
Passenger pursuant to 14 CFR § 254.4 unless the Passenger at time of check-in has
declared the value of the baggage to be in excess of Three Thousand Eight Hundred and
00/100 dollars ($3,800.00) (“excess valuation”) and has paid an additional charge of One
and 00/100 dollar ($1.00) for each One Hundred and 00/100 dollars ($100.00) of excess
valuation. See Paragraph (2) below for excess valuation limitations and Section 8 for
information regarding international travel. ...

Excess Valuation.
The declared excess valuation for baggage shall not exceed One Thousand Two
Hundred Fifty and 00/100 dollars ($1,250.00) above the Three Thousand Eight Hundred
and 00/100 dollars ($3,800.00) limitation of Carrier’s the liability established by this
Contract of Carriage, for a total maximum declared valuation of Five Thousand Fifty and
00/100 dollars ($5,050.00). Excess valuation coverage is not available for money;
jewelry; photographic, video and optical equipment; computers and other electronic
equipment; computer software; silverware and china; fragile or perishable items; liquids;
precious gems and metals; negotiable instruments; securities; business or personal
documents; samples; items intended for sale; paintings, artifacts, and other works of art;
antiques; collectors’ items; unique or irreplaceable items; heirlooms; research,
experimental, and scholastic items and documents; manuscripts; furs; irreplaceable
books or publications; and similar valuables.