Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Howto get lower price , when the airfare drops

Suarj
Explorer C

I booked a flight (wanna get away fare) and few days later saw that its prices have dropped.

What is the best possible way to get the reduced fare?

1) Modify the booking ?

In doing so , will I be able to remodify the ticket again or cancel it later if required.

2) Cancel and then use the travel funds to book the new reduced fare.

In this case, can i remodify it later or cancel it again if prices go further down ?Or cancel it completely if my travel plan changes and get the travel funds

Kindly suggest.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Howto get lower price , when the airfare drops

franktravel
Aviator B

The best way is, go to "manage reservation" then click on change.  Pick the same flights and if the airfare is lower you will receive a travel credit on that conformation number to use one year from the date of purchase not the flight date. You can do this as often as you find the price lower. 

beccafries
Explorer C

what if you have a flight booked, and you see lower price for same dates but diff flight

times....how would i go by doing this??

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Already answered on your other post, but the method is the same as @franktravel mentions above. Just select whatever flight you want to change to. 

Suarj
Explorer C

Thanks

whats the advantage of modifying over cancel/rebook?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Changing is quicker, easier, and retains EarlyBird Check-In if you purchased it. Downside to changing is if you bought a refundable fare, changing makes it nonrefundable. In that case you should cancel and rebook. 

mcoppola
Explorer C

How does one find out how many miles were used to purchase a flight?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@mcoppola Your email confirmation from when you booked the flight will show how many Rapid Rewards points were used to complete the booking.  If you can't find that, another trick is to go to the My Trips section of your Southwest account and select "change flight" for the reservation you're interested in.  Find and select a new flight (any flight will work becuase you're not actually going to change the flight you have booked), then after you select the new flight the next screen will tell you how many RR points you can apply from the original flight.  That's the amount used to complete the booking.  Make sure you cancel or close the window here and dont confirm the change.

kim713
Explorer C

By doing this and picking the exact same flights, would I still have the ability to change again if the price drops lower?

franktravel
Aviator B

Yes you can!