Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

I was told by a representative for Southwest Airlines that my fare was refundable

menapaulson
Explorer C

I was told this flight was refundable when I booked it. When I called to cancel my flight, I was told I would receive a refund to my credit card. Since it has not appeared, I called to find out where it was and was told the flight was non-refundable????

Everything has been cancelled because of COVID-19 until next year, if we all survive until then. I don't think it is fair at all that through no fault of mine, all my plans were cancelled due to a global pandemic!

I am asking that my m/c  be refunded $375. I understand that my early bird charge of $50 is non-refundable. I can deal with that, but it should also be refunded.

I would gladly fly Southwest next year to Austin for the SXSW festival (your festival, by the way) and the Luck Reunion but it was all cancelled for this year.

Please consider this refund. The government is bailing you guys out. Southwest should do the right thing here and refund at least my $375. I am also disabled and on a walker so it is very difficult for me to get around as it is.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: I was told by a representative for Southwest Airlines that my fare was refundable

dfwskier
Aviator A

What type of fare did you buy? Wanna Get Away, Anytime, or Business Select?

Re: I was told by a representative for Southwest Airlines that my fare was refundable

menapaulson
Explorer C

I think It was the want to get away. But I specifically asked if it was refundable and was told it was. Who the hell knew there would be a global pandemic. I strongly object to the non-refundable policy even though I was told it was! I am a senior citizen with mobility issues. I might fly again, but I do not want an expiration date on it! The Federal Govt. will bail out the airlines. What about the little people like me? Be fair Southwest.

In view of a situation that the world could never have imagined a month ago, your refund policy should change. 

I am personally helping in my community thru all of these changes and doing what I can to obey the CDC stay at home order. I would think a BIG corporation like Southwest Airlines COULD ADJUST!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@menapaulson wrote:

I think It was the want to get away. But I specifically asked if it was refundable and was told it was. Who the hell knew there would be a global pandemic. I strongly object to the non-refundable policy even though I was told it was! I am a senior citizen with mobility issues. I might fly again, but I do not want an expiration date on it! The Federal Govt. will bail out the airlines. What about the little people like me? Be fair Southwest.

In view of a situation that the world could never have imagined a month ago, your refund policy should change. 

I am personally helping in my community thru all of these changes and doing what I can to obey the CDC stay at home order. I would think a BIG corporation like Southwest Airlines COULD ADJUST!

You were likely given (or heard) incorrect info when you booked. Southwest Wanna Get Away fares aren't refundable, but they are reusable. 100% of your fare can be used towards another flight, without change, cancellation or rebooking fees. This is different from ever other air carrier, so it's emphasized frequently.

Depending on when you made the purchase, it's also possible that you booked a Senior fare. Those fares, which are now no longer available since Dec. 11, 2019, are fully refundable. Although, if they're telling you now that it's non-refundable, it's probably a WGA fare. You can check your original confirmation email and it will show the particular fare type.

Southwest is currently working through the process of extending the expiration dates of travel funds for those affected, to June 30, 2021. This should include yours, although the expiration date shown online won;t reflect that yet.

It's very unlikely, given the anticipated huge financial loss air carriers in general and Southwest in the specific will experience, that refunds will be offered on non-refundable fares. For what it's worth, however, you can definitely let Southwest know your thoughts. The forum here is mostly customer-to-customer, so you'll want to contact them directly through any of the ways shown at the Contact Us link below. My recommendation would be a letter sent via snail mail.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@menapaulson wrote:

I was told this flight was refundable when I booked it. When I called to cancel my flight, I was told I would receive a refund to my credit card. Since it has not appeared, I called to find out where it was and was told the flight was non-refundable????

Everything has been cancelled because of COVID-19 until next year, if we all survive until then. I don't think it is fair at all that through no fault of mine, all my plans were cancelled due to a global pandemic!

I am asking that my m/c  be refunded $375. I understand that my early bird charge of $50 is non-refundable. I can deal with that, but it should also be refunded.

I would gladly fly Southwest next year to Austin for the SXSW festival (your festival, by the way) and the Luck Reunion but it was all cancelled for this year.

Please consider this refund. The government is bailing you guys out. Southwest should do the right thing here and refund at least my $375. I am also disabled and on a walker so it is very difficult for me to get around as it is.

Was this a senior fare when you booked it, or else an Anytime fare would normally be refundable. A business select fare would also be refundable, but you wouldn't be able to buy early bird with it. (FYI in hindsight: if purchasing Anytime plus EBCI then just get a Business Select - not sure if that's what happened here yet or not.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.