Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

If Southwest cancels a flight then you are entitled to a refund

SWDigits
Aviator A

One item forum regulars are sharing with less frequent travelers is that if Southwest cancels a flight then you are entitled to a refund.  If you cancel a reservation then you will receive travel funds.

Note that if Southwest cancels a flight then they will offer to rebook you or they will offer you travel funds.  They should also let you know that you have an additional options for a right to a refund but I see forum posts where it seems like customers don't know about the refund option.  You will probably need to contact Southwest to request the refund and Twitter/Facebook private message reportedly get the fastest response times.

One good thing is that Southwest allows you to cancel a reservation as late as 10 minutes before departure so my personal recommendation is to wait to see if Southwest cancels a flight before you cancel.

Customer | Home airport DCA
3 REPLIES 3

Re: If Southwest cancels a flight then you are entitled to a refund

hfj17002
Explorer C

What if your flight is booked through Southwest vacations?  Since they are separate from SW SW airlines, are you still entitled to a cash refund?  I'll be calling them once my final payment is due on 4/23 & see what my options are.

SWDigits
Aviator A

You probably want to get in touch with the Southwest Vacations team BEFORE your final payment is due to check with them.

I don't know your situation but my *guess* is that the air portion of your package follows the same process as a direct Southwest air purchase but it may be complicated by hotel or other elements of the package.  You really need to contact Southwest Vacations to understand how their terms & conditions apply to your situation.

Customer | Home airport DCA

hfj17002
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply. I'll be calling SW vacations next week.  I sent a message to SW airlines & it seems like I'd be able to deal direct with them about a refund on the air portion. I have trip insurance through SWV, but I'm not sure if I have to make my final payment for it to kick in & be able to cancel my other parts. Everything online seems so vanilla, & they aren't replyingto emails. Thanks again!