Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Inconsistent Covid Policy

shurrieann
Explorer C

I have had the worst experience of my life this morning with Southwest counter person and her supervisor at Houston Hobby. I fly quite a bit for both work and personal, and have always enjoyed my Southwest experiences, but today makes me reconsider ever flying SW again. Upon arrival for my International flight to DR, I needed to check my bag for flight. Counter lady took a look at my passport and then asked for my Negative Covid test results and i told her I didn't take a test. She then informed me that i was not able to get on this flight without a test. I informed her that those are not the current rules, and she then proceeded to tell me I should've read the online rules before coming. I asked to speak to supervisor and one came down and she told me the same thing. They immediately canceled my ticket and ripped the luggage tag off my bag. I showed them on YOUR SW website where it states "Negative results OR Quarantine". I informed them I would quarantine and that even from SW website when you click on the link provided about more information it BLATANTLY states testing is not required for entry as they do testing at entry airport and/or hotel destinations. My ticket was one-way with you guys because my original round trip tickets were canceled because SW canceled returning flight home. Not only did I lose money on my hotel, but also was not able to refund my flight home from another airline because it was a non-refundable ticket. To dig even deeper, my travel companions were allowed to continue because they did not need to check their bag so bypassed the counter situation. If I had known this was an option, I obviously would have done so. I am a health care worker, and so looked forward to these 4 days of vacation. Not only was that stripped away from me due to your lack of continuity on who needs a test and who doesn't, but now it COST me money to not be able to get on this flight. I am still so upset and even when I called this morning to speak to someone about the situation I was told I didn't have the right department and would have to wait till 9am to speak to someone. I respect trying to keep people healthy, but how healthy is it, that you allow someone to board the same flight without a test because they didn't have to check a bag and interact with SW staff???? Makes zero sense, and this is coming from someone who is in and out of hospital operating rooms daily. Also the levels customer service from a "supervisor" who's response was "well this is SW policy" just disgusts me.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Inconsistent Covid Policy

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Since this is a customer to customer forum I suggest that you contact Southwest Customer Relations directly. For the fastest response, which would probably be good in your situation, I would start by sending a private message to Southwest via Twitter or Facebook, start with a quick summary of the issue, then provide full details after you get a response. You'll want to include your confirmation number in the message.

Hopefully things get resolved for you.

Contact Customer Relations

--TheMiddleSeat

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Unfortunately we have all seen service suffer due to covid. I’m all about staying safe, but inconsistent practices are very frustrating. I know you will never get back the lost time you put into this, but I hope SW will make things right. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@shurrieann I still stand by my other statement, but do agree with Passenger1, I hope you get a resolution to your satisfaction.  Thank you for your front-line service.  

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

The requirement for a negative test is imposed by the Dominican Republic. I can assure you that Southwest is not being inconsistent. If there is an admissions requirement for foreign travel, they will enforce it. The airline gets fined if they show up with someone who is inadmissible. Furthermore, you are responsible for knowing the admissions requirements before a foreign trip.

I've never flown internationally on Southwest, but I have on many other airlines. They always check my passport and, if required, my visa at check-in and often again at the gate. 

Sorry, but this one is on you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@bwallet wrote:

The requirement for a negative test is imposed by the Dominican Republic.

I don't believe this is true for flyers from the United States. Can provide a source for your claim that a test is required to travel to the DR?

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@bwallet wrote:

The requirement for a negative test is imposed by the Dominican Republic.

I don't believe this is true for flyers from the United States. Can provide a source for your claim that a test is required to travel to the DR?

--TheMiddleSeat

If I'm reading the OP's post correctly, two traveling companions who had carry-ons and who didn't stop at the counter were in the same boat - they also didn't have tests were able to board and travel. 

And that the OP did travel on another airline without a test?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

shurrieann
Explorer C

@DancingDavidE 

Yes, 4 of my travel companions, 2 on Southwest, 2 on American, all traveled without me from same airport without Negative Covid Tests and none had to check a bag, so bypassed the counter. Had I known this was an option, I would've emptied out my liquids on gone on to board without checking....but the SW supervisor immediately canceled my tickets while at the counter. And they have yet to respond to my emails/calls. I've been a loyal SW customer for both personal and business for years and years, and this has got me wanting to cancel everything that has to do with Southwest. Especially with the lack of response.

shurrieann
Explorer C

@bwallet 

For one who has flown multiple times internationally on all airlines....no, this is not on me. I had my passport, that was not the issue here.

This is directly from Southwest Covid Travel Policy. They have already changed the wording since this happened to me on Friday 3/12/21. Now it doesn't say Negative COVID test OR quarantine is required. That is what the policy stated when this happened me. Also this is directly from the link from SW website to the DR which blatantly states a test is not required. Learn to read before you respond with negativity. I wasn't trying "to pull one over" on the airlines, just trying to go on vacation and I am a responsible health worker whom has already been vaccinated, for that matter as well.

is IMG_1491.jpeg

shurrieann
Explorer C

That’s funny that a moderator has marked this solution as solved when I have yet to be contacted by Southwest. 

Again, Southwest customer service lacking.