Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Involuntary denied boarding again.

bugsy
Explorer C

Sorry,somehow I accepted Middle Seat's "solution" as correct.Southwest did overbook the flight in question and offered voucher worth 4 times fare cost since they could not get the family to destination within 4 hours of scheduled overbooked flight.My request was how to get cash compensation since they did not offer family members written rights on denied boarding as required Section 250.9

§ 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal noti...

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Involuntary denied boarding again.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While my response from your other post is still correct (btw, there's no need for the duplicate post), you're certainly welcome to write Southwest and request additional compensation.  Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message.  If you really enjoy wasting your time you can write to the DOT. 

Southwest no longer oversells their flights.  Due to IRROPS or aircraft swaps they may not have enough seats.  There's a big difference between those.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Southwest no longer oversells their flights.  Due to IRROPS or aircraft swaps they may not have enough seats.  There's a big difference between those.

--TheMiddleSeat

Correct.. SW stopped over booking about 3-4 years ago

. Over booking is when the airline expects some no shows for a flight and sells that number of additional tickets. So you could see 140 tIckets sold on a plane that only seats 135. When there were fewer no shows than expected , then people got bumped by the airline.

That is entirely different than selling 170 tickets on a plane that seats 180, and then having to substitute

a plane that seats less than 170 People get bumped there too, but iris not due to over selling.

the former is under the airline’s control while the latter is not If your big plane cannot fly and the only available plane is smaller, then the airline can do one of two things

1) cancel the flight and no one gets to their destination or

2) use the smaller plane and some people get bumped.

which of the alternatives would you choose?

bugsy
Explorer C

So the voucher issued is titled "INVOLUNTARY DENIED BOARDING"...they would not offer voucher of 4 times fare value IF the reason was a plane change.That is specified compensation for "IVD"...more seats sold than available at boarding time and not being able to get passengers to destination within 4 hours of scheduled time. I admit that I did not realize that the denied boarding vouchers are transferable ....makes it a tad better.But,SWA did not offer written denied boarding options at time of denied boarding and that is my issue.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can have an involuntarily denied boarding situation, we're not arguing that point, but the reason for the denied boarding is the issue here.  Southwest does not oversell seats so the reason for the problem of having not enough seats is likely due to numerous other reasons previously mentioned here.  The most likely is an aircraft swap, which as also stated earlier exempts this situation from the rules you think apply and does not entitle you to any financial compensation.  Southwest has been known to hand out very large vouchers to provide compensation because they inconvenienced someone due to operational issues.  That sounds like what is happening here and is no indication that they are trying to get out of some other obligatory financial compensation.

--TheMiddleSeat

Brian7031
Explorer C

@bugsy wrote:

Sorry,somehow I accepted Middle Seat's "solution" as correct.Southwest did overbook the flight in question and offered voucher worth 4 times fare cost since they could not get the family to destination within 4 hours of scheduled overbooked flight.My request was how to get cash compensation since they did not offer family members written rights on denied boarding as required Section 250.9

§ 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal noti...

Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message.  If you really enjoy wasting your time you can write to the DOT. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

You don't think the ticket that you received included the written explanation? I'm not saying that there can't be a mixup on the procedures especially for something that doesn't happen that often but there is a legal department standardizing these types of communications so I would expect that it was written down on something that you received. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.