Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Involuntary denied boarding

bugsy
Explorer C

My son and family (4 total) were denied boarding on recent oversold flight.I'm posting since my points were used. They were not given written explanation of denied boarding compensation nor offered cash compensation,but voucher's expiring in one year.Do readers believe there is basis to request cash compensation or non-expiring vouchers since the Federal over-sales rules were not followed.If so,how do suggest we proceed? Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Involuntary denied boarding

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest no longer oversells their flights.  IF people were bumped from a flight it was most likely because of an aircraft swap that left fewer seats available.  Here is info from US DOT's website:

Bumped passengers are NOT eligible for compensation in the following situations:

• Aircraft Change - A smaller plane is substituted for the larger one the airline originally planned on using due to operational or safety reasons

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/bumping-oversales

I would expect a refund for the fare paid or to be put onto another flight and the voucher was a nice way of compensating you for the trouble.

--TheMiddleSeat

bugsy
Explorer C

Wow,middle seat.You are incorrect,this was oversold,overbooked or whatever term you prefer.They were given voucher worth 4 times fare since they were not able to arrive at destination within 4 hours of involuntary denied boarding.Problem for the family is they don't fly often enough to use the voucher within one year.They were not given written denied boarding regulations as required,that is the basis for post.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Nope, Southwest no longer oversells flights.  Sounds like the travelers got great compensation for their trouble.  Vouchers can be given to other people who may be able to use them before expiration.  You're welcome to send the codes to me.

--TheMiddleSeat

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Southwest will oversell a flight to accommodate a Customer of Size, but that would not be 4 seats.

No compensation if the change is made for operational reasons? Safety, yes. Operational reasons? That's pretty bogus. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Nope, Southwest no longer oversells flights.  Sounds like the travelers got great compensation for their trouble.  Vouchers can be given to other people who may be able to use them before expiration.  You're welcome to send the codes to me.

--TheMiddleSeat

Ditto!

— Jessica

JamesIshikawa
Explorer B

In 2018 Southwest Airlines stopped me from boarding a flight (last second before boarding) and never asked for volunteers. I received and returned a voucher provided for "involuntary" denial of boarding because employees on Government travel may not accept compensation for "involuntary" bumps.  I requested a smaller substitute replacement voucher for a "voluntary" bump (as I would have accepted a "voluntary" bump had they asked) but Southwest Airline refused.  The Airline never even resent the voucher for the "involuntary" bump as required by the US Department of Transportation.  Ultimately, Southwest Airlines took my seat, delayed me 5 hours, and never compensated me (or my employer or anybody) for my inconvenience and the Airlines convenience.   The Airlines thinks that's OK - but I haven't and will never fly on Southwest Airlines again.

"The Middle Seat", as in your case, aggressively (and without any apology) criticized my complaint as I would expect any unapologetic shill for the Airline to respond.  Hopefully my complaint and yours (and maybe others) will serve to educate the public about Southwest Airlines unapologetic and uncaring treatment of it's customers.  Any considerate business that inconveniences a customer to facilitate it's own business operation would and should make sure that customer is compensated.  Period!.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You're really posting about something that happened 4 years ago???

on a thread last commented on (before yours) 9 months ago?????

Really????

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@JamesIshikawa Thanks for coming back to call me names and complain about something that happened 4 years ago. Good content!

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat  

I went back and looked at his first thread on the topic. He said (and I quote) " This is my last post." Interestingly, he said it twice in the other thread  LOL! 

Some people hang on to grudges forever. Others simply get on with their lives.