Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is it possible to skip first flight on a Southwest itinerary without having the rest of the reservat

Kevin234
New Arrival
In a few weeks, I will be traveling to LAX on Southwest. After talking to my friend I'm visiting we are planning on making the drive over to Las Vegas during the week I am there. I noticed my return flight to Chicago is LAX to LAS, then LAS to MDW. I am thinking instead of driving back to LA I could just hop on my second flight in Las Vegas. I am aware that on most airlines including Southwest that if you miss a flight, the rest of your reservation is cancelled. I am wondering if anyone knows if this can be worked around or any tips or tricks? For instance, could I call the airline and say I won't be able to make my flight from LAX but can catch the next leg in Las Vegas so please don't cancel? Thanks in advance!
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Is it possible to skip first flight on a Southwest itinerary without having the rest of the rese

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor
Solution

You cannot just skip the first leg, the remaining legs will be cancelled.  Here's where the lack of change fees will help you, just change your flight to be what you actually want it to be.  There may be some price difference in fare that you will need to pay, but it's also possible the new routing will be cheaper and you'll get a credit to use later.  You can use the online change flight function to do everything, but you could call and wait on hold for awhile if you wanted to speak to someone to do the same thing.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Is it possible to skip first flight on a Southwest itinerary without having the rest of the rese

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

My favorite kind of posts...

@Kevin234 - enjoy Vegas! Here's hoping you get a nice credit to fly somewhere else later.