Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is there a limit to how many times you can change your flight?

hav154
Explorer C

Hello, is there a limit to how many times you can change your flight? I have been taking advantage of SW's policy in which you can change your flight with no fare increase as long as it is between the same origin and destination. I have changed it three times so far but I need to change it again, and when I looked, it showed a fare increase. I have been tracking the flight times and prices these past few weeks, and it seemed like it would be no problem. I was very surprised when I checked today. Any insight on this is much appreciated! 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Is there a limit to how many times you can change your flight?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Great question, as I am about to change mine for the second time.  I'm still on a mandatory 14-day lockdown in my state if I travel by plane out of state and back.  I'm not ready to do that.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You can change your flight as many times as you'd like, but you'll pay the fare difference (if applicable). The fare difference is sometimes temporarily not applicable when Southwest issues a waiver that covers your particular flight for some reason (irregular operations, flight cancellation, COVID-19, etc.) Those waivers are temporary, and the expiration date/parameters for rebooking are displayed when you rebook. Generally they allow rebooking with no additional fare one time, through a specific date or timeframe.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I believe that the rule that has recently been in place (you can change any flight to any other flight on the same routing at no charge) is being replaced by the "normal" rule starting 6/1.

The "normal" rule is that if the airline cancels your flight, you can change within a 14 day period to any other available flight with the same itinerary at no additional cost. If you flight has not been cancelled, you can change but you'll pay a fare difference, if any.

Matt4202
Adventurer A

My experience recently is 3 times. After that you can still change it for free if it says so, but you have to call or reach out via Social Media to get it done.