Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Items Stolen from luggage

Angie55
Explorer C

I am new to this forum, but unfortunately I have just had the same experience. I bought a brand new pair of Nine West Silver Wedged Sneakers prior to traveling overseas. They were quite costly and absolutely stunning. I wore them once for roughly 3 to 4 hours on my trip. I stayed at an Airbnb so I laundered my clothing prior to flying back to the states.  I  returned from vacation and went straight to work the same day, until this morning when I finally decided to unpack my suitcases.  I got the shoe  boxes with the intention of placing all my footwear for storage, and was shocked to find that not one, but both sneakers were missing...just gone! Had it been a mistake, at least one foot of sneaker should've been in the luggage, as they were not packed together.  There was a TSA Ticket in each of my luggage stating that both of my my luggages had been searched.

I contacted SW and was informed that their deadline for reporting missing/lost items is within 4 hours after off-boarding. I am quite upset that those TSA agents are policing us with such force but there is no one policing them. It's almost as if they are allowed to do whatever they want without consequences.  This process needs a complete overhaul because based on the numerous complaints/comments I'm seeing, the current one is not working. No one individual should rummage through anyone's luggage unattended.    

The young lady was nice enough to take my information but I don't expect to be compensated this theft.  Just a word of advice, if  you have valuables thatcannot fit in your carry-on, "DO NOT" check it..LEAVE IT AT HOME!!!  The worst part is, these sneakers are no longer available for purchase at this time.  The employers need to scree these people thoroughly as it seems like a quite a few of them are dishonest. I am really annoyed at this point.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Items Stolen from luggage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As you said TSA inspected your bags you should file a claim with TSA, not Southwest, for the missing items.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions/how-do-i-file-claim-missing-or-damaged-item

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I have seen a few lawsuits lately against TSA.  Now, the courts and judges look at your claims more favorably and the reign of terror from TSA is over.

Find out who searched your bag and pursue legally.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Perhaps you could tell the OP exactly how to do that...

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I have seen a few lawsuits lately against TSA.  Now, the courts and judges look at your claims more favorably and the reign of terror from TSA is over.

Can I rename you lawsuitguy 😂 or DISASTERGUY (in red of course) instead of Floridaguy 

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

@Angie55 wrote:

I contacted SW and was informed that their deadline for reporting missing/lost items is within 4 hours after off-boarding.     

This is news to me; I’ve definitely reported lost items well after that. (One couldn’t often be expected to open one’s luggage within four hours besides.)

Good luck, sorry to hear this.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

@Angie55 wrote:

I contacted SW and was informed that their deadline for reporting missing/lost items is within 4 hours after off-boarding.     

This is news to me; I’ve definitely reported lost items well after that. (One couldn’t often be expected to open one’s luggage within four hours besides.)

My reading of the contract of carriage leads me to believe that the  4 hour rule applies to lost bags or damage to the (exterior of the) bags.   ie things  that would be visible immediately.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

@Angie55 wrote:

My reading of the contract of carriage leads me to believe that the  4 hour rule applies to lost bags or damage to the (exterior of the) bags.   ie things  that would be visible immediately.

I had understood it to be damaged items as well, but my thinking was always if the suitcase is smashed up then open it and check for broken items while still at the airport.

I agree that I don't necessarily open my luggage and check for any missing items at the airport unless there was some signal on the outside, so for a missing item as opposed to damaged item, that makes sense that you might notice it later.

Agree with the other posters, I'd file with TSA as well. If you have pictures and receipts that will help.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bteach
Explorer C

I don't expect any resolution from this, but a lesson was learned...I had $1200 stolen fromi accidentally placing cash in a checked bag, which was handled by TSA, customer service at check-in, and baggage crew.  It is very frustrating to know that someone is going through your baggage and stealing property, with little recourse to you, the traveler.  From now on, cash is carried on my person.  Be careful out there!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bteach wrote:

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

And for future readers ---

The rule to follow is

NEVER put anything you cannot afford to lose, meds you need, or things of value in checked bags