Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Items stolen from Luggage

Sophia_3
Explorer C

An FYI to everyone traveling southwest. I just had 3 jackets and some gifts stolen from my luggage on a flight from Buffalo to Oakland connection in Las Vegas.

I was hoping that I’d just left them at home which was a possibility because I packed in a rush. But, I got home yesterday and no, they are definitely not here. So. Someone along the way went into my suitcase and stole them. I’m extremely upset and am learning that no one will actually do anything because it’s apparently commonplace for thieves to be working in the airline business....which is crazy. If someone stole something from my work they’d be fired, these people should be too. I know that maybe it could have not been a southwest employee. But. It’s upsetting and felt that I should warn people about this. I can’t afford to replace everything right now after my trip so I’m going to have to go without, which stinks. Worse was arriving sans gifts. My advice, don’t check anything and be wary when they ask for volunteers to check bags at the gate. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Items stolen from Luggage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

More likely to be an issue with TSA as they are the ones that inspect and open checked baggage.  You can fill out a claim with TSA at https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Sophia_3 wrote:

....My advice, don’t check anything and be wary when they ask for volunteers to check bags at the gate. 

Did you gate check? That seems like a long shot for time/access. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@Sophia_3 , 

I am sorry that this happened to you and as @TheMiddleSeat mentioned, TSA also deals with the baggage.

However, I would not say that it is “commonplace,” instead, quite the opposite. Millions of people fly every year, and I know of no one that has ever happened to.  With human beings in the mix, there is always a chance that it could happen, especially since TSA specifically requests us not to lock bags; but I would not say it is commonplace.

I understand that you are upset, and I just wanted to clarify that theft from baggage rarely happens.  When it does, it gets published, so an internet search brings up many of the few times that it happens versus providing the perspective of rarely but occasionally happening.  The Southwest baggage handlers work hard, often in hot or rainy weather; therefore, I try not to generalize.  Because it can happen (and because bags get misplaced), most websites suggest not packing medicines, baby formula or items of value in checked baggage, but rather recommend carrying on.  

Filing a claim is the best suggestion (which I think was provided by @DancingDavidE).  I hope you can see that I just wanted to provide an overview.  I do hope your reimbursement is delivered or goods are returned soon.  So sorry this happened to you.

kutter
Explorer C

I just had my glasses and two cans of chew stolen from my luggage from Omaha to Vegas on to Boise. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@kutter wrote:

I just had my glasses and two cans of chew stolen from my luggage from Omaha to Vegas on to Boise. 

Hello. Sorry to hear that.

My guess is that no one would steal a pair of glasses and two cans of chew.

TSA routinely searches bags, and my guess would be that TSA was careless and the items fell out of your bag.

sandysue79
Explorer B

My watch was stolen out of my checked luggage somewhere between Las Vegas Southwest Air and Raleigh, NC. There was no TSA slip in my luggage.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We're saddened to hear this, @sandysue79. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here. We encourage you to reach out via official channels following the steps below. Thank you!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

sandysue79
Explorer B

I have filed multiple police reports, TSA report, and reports with the airline. Nothing has been done. I would just like others to know that nothing will be done about items stolen from their checked luggage.