Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Items stolen from luggage

dfwskier
Aviator A

@munroet1 wrote:

I got the same letter.  I had my make up bag w expensive make up stolen out of my bag.  They don't care.  

Well, TSA had access to your bag. Airport employees likely had access to your bag, and, yes, SW employees had access to yur bag. Theft could have occured as a result of the employees of any of the three (and have at various airports).

That being said, I'm sorry your stuff was taken.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

I'm sorry for your loss. I would really hate to lose any of my game systems. Out of curiosity, if the overhead was full why not just put the bag under the seat in front of you?

sandysue79
Explorer B

You are absolutely right! They do not care at all. It seems like it would be very simple for someone to watch the security recordings and see who went through our luggage. Never flying Southwest ever again!

thinzaung
Explorer C

I just flew from Oakland to San Dieago 4hours ago and I lost my designer bag and amazon Firestick from my luggage. Out of everything in my baggage, only the most expensive ones were missing. Does anyone in this thread were ever reimbursed from Southwest for these stolen items? 

Also shouldn't airline be responsible for these kind of theft as we left the bag at their checkin counter.. between Checkin counter to till to the Baggage Claim in the next airport, were there any other folks handling our baggages except employees of the airport and airline??

Thanks

Thin

dfwskier
Aviator A

@thinzaung wrote:

I just flew from Oakland to San Dieago 4hours ago and I lost my designer bag and amazon Firestick from my luggage. Out of everything in my baggage, only the most expensive ones were missing. Does anyone in this thread were ever reimbursed from Southwest for these stolen items? 

Also shouldn't airline be responsible for these kind of theft as we left the bag at their checkin counter.. between Checkin counter to till to the Baggage Claim in the next airport, were there any other folks handling our baggages except employees of the airport and airline??

Thanks

Thinrrr

Sorry to hear that your things were pilfered.

To answer your question, airport employees at two airports handled your luggage. TSA handled your luggage, and yes, Southwest handled your luggage.

There are many documented examples of airport workers, TSA employees, and airline employees stealing stuff from luggage. Who took yours? I dunno.

Hence the normal recommendations are to not put expensive item in checked luggage.

The best you can do is report the theft. If there is pattern to theft, police can start watching to try to catch the thieves. It has happened before.

kathip
Explorer C

I received the same type of nonsense letter but they are taking no responsibility for my lost bag and anything in it. Along the way I was guided to replace the items and submit the list of loss items and receipts which is exactly what I did. My list was over $1200 in value and they are trying to settle with me for $98 which is complete and utter nonsense. They are basically doing nothing about my lost bag. SW has given me such a run around for over a month.  I have a very similar letter signed by “Tye” also who is probably not even an actual person. In the letter it says they have been unable to contact me which is also absolutely not true because I have been speaking to Southwest all along. Again I was directed to replace all of my items and told I would be reimbursed for all the items in my suitcase that they lost. I am so angry and cannot believe the irresponsibility and lack of ownership on their part. This is totally unacceptable. It is so wrong and so upsetting to be treated this way. How I have been guided by them to handle this situation and what they are doing is so contradicting and wrong. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Posting the same complaint in three different threads will do nothing to help you resolve your issue.

In one of the other threads, I suggested that you contact customer relations and explained how to do so.

JustinaD
Explorer C

I have been a loyal customer with Southwest for years and fly the airline almost exclusively. More recently, back in October 2023, valuable items were stolen from my checked luggage. I opened a case Southwest and TSA per Southwest's recommendation with all supporting documentation and have been getting the run around since. I will continue to escalate this issue to the highest degree  necessary and have decided to fly other airlines after my last scheduled trip in December. 

Is 2 free checked bags worth the potential cost of theft? It's a free for all for airline or TSA employees to do as they please. I am working with both to solve the issue, but nothing is being done.  I have also submitted reviews on multi-sites warning travels of this.