Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Just turned two years old “no mask”

My granddaughter just turned two and they are coming to stay at our home to self quarantine so we can see them finally. They cannot get her to wear a mask nor a shield (fully covers her face with clear plastic shield) If they check in their luggage and our granddaughter is crying and pulling the mask off, then what?  It sounds like the new rule is no exceptions even though with three seats purchased they can put her at the window. What will happen in this scenario?

51 REPLIES 51
Highlighted

Re: Just turned two years old “no mask”

Top Contributor

If she just turned 2, I might be tempted to fib about her birthday.

Highlighted

Maybe check with the gate agent? 

Community Champion | LGA based | Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

Dfwskier, they bought a ticket and she is 98 percentile in size, so she looks older.  Will be two years and three weeks old.

Highlighted

If she can't/won't wear a mask then she can't fly.

https://www.southwest.com/airline-cleanliness-social-distance/

(Not my rule or opinion, this is SWA's policy.)

Highlighted

I know this, my question includes the fact that luggage would have been on the plane and they’d be denied. 

Highlighted

Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @LisaG, I am so sorry for the added stress this situation has caused. If your granddaughter were to be denied transportation, we will do our best to retrieve checked bags as soon as possible. Whoever she's traveling with will need to reach out to the local Baggage Service Office for assistance.

Nicole
Community Manager
Highlighted

New Arrival

Hi Southwest! This family had a tough experience that we would like to learn from before flying. We also have a 2 year-old and find that this age is too young to fully understand rules like mask-wearing (it's been easier with our 4 year-old who comprehends that there is a virus). Physical force is unpleasant as this family described. Do you have any suggestions for 2 year-olds to comply with this rule?

We read the news about two families getting kicked off airlines, and this post here, but would love to learn from other success stories, if possible. Surely, there have been many other 2 year-olds flying since July, and we welcome any tips you may have. 

Highlighted

Employee
Employee

Thanks for reaching out @nataliedawn! As a Customer-to-Customer discussion forum, we aren't equipped to provide support here, but The Community is a great place to learn from other Customers who might be in a similar situation.

Nicole
Community Manager
Highlighted

New Arrival

Respectfully, SWA should reconsider their mask policy. The WHO states, "In general, children aged 5 years and under should not be required to wear masks. This advice is based on the safety and overall interest of the child and the capacity to appropriately use a mask with minimal assistance". It is unreasonable to think that a 2 year old can wear a mask effectively.