Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Re: Just turned two years old “no mask”

Rising Star

I wouldn’t worry about it. In reality, no 2 year old will ever wear a face covering. As long as there is an attempt made by the parents, I doubt there will be any issues. Any employee at SWA who is a parent will understand and appreciate the effort that is being made. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion
Highlighted

I hope you are right Passenger 1c!  

Highlighted

Well, they made their first flight and all three of them felt traumatized... They had a layover without getting off the plane, and had the bulkhead.  But she cried on and off and had a full on screaming period where her daddy just held her and her arms to keep the mask on... My daughter was close to tears and doesn't want to ever fly again while masks are mandatory...  I'm sure the customers were not happy either.  However, they do need to return home, and driving across the US is not an option.  I wish the airlines would reconsider the age of mandatory masks to an age where a child can understand and comply vs being frightened to death.  Mom and dad are trying everything to get her to feel comfortable with it.  All the advice out there doesn't work.  This was a necessary trip.

Highlighted

Southwest disseminated its mask policy and that is the policy. When I consider breaking the rules I fall back on a passage from MLK's Letter from Birmingham jail: Act as though your actions would become law.

I think now is one of the times when we need to re-double in our efforts at compliance and consideration for others, especially when flying commercial economy class.

Highlighted

New Arrival

There is no understanding, just booting the children and parents from the flight. No more LUV.

Highlighted

New Arrival

Agreed, and if they do get super strict about 2 year olds wearing a mask the commercial airline business will cease to exist within a few years(already hanging by a thread)

Highlighted

I think a two year old is capable of wearing a mask.

Highlighted

Rising Star

@LisaG  sorry to hear about their experience especially since you said it was essential travel. People who don’t understand the overall stress of flying with children really don’t matter and will find something else to complain about when they land. Of course it’s easier to fly for work without my family, but when I see a family struggling, I offer assistance because I have been in their shoes.  It’s very stressful! 

Try to have the parents realize they are doing all they can, and this is only a short moment in time. Any adult who feels that a 2 year old child is purposely threatening their health by pulling their mask off really should be staying at home. 

I hope their flight home will be a better experience. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion
Highlighted

I don't think any one is discussing intent. Masks are required over two years of age 

Highlighted

Passenger 1c Thank you so much for your kind support.