Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Re: Just turned two years old “no mask”

Rising Star

@LisaG  sorry to hear about their experience especially since you said it was essential travel. People who don’t understand the overall stress of flying with children really don’t matter and will find something else to complain about when they land. Of course it’s easier to fly for work without my family, but when I see a family struggling, I offer assistance because I have been in their shoes.  It’s very stressful! 

Try to have the parents realize they are doing all they can, and this is only a short moment in time. Any adult who feels that a 2 year old child is purposely threatening their health by pulling their mask off really should be staying at home. 

I hope their flight home will be a better experience. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion
Highlighted

I don't think any one is discussing intent. Masks are required over two years of age 

Highlighted

Passenger 1c Thank you so much for your kind support. 

Highlighted

New Arrival

First off, I do not have children. But when parents are traveling alone with little ones, they deserve a bit of compassion.  The fact that the FA felt the need to wake the little boy to see that his mask was in place, in my eyes, seems like she was trying to stir the pot. 

This is my opinion, not fact.  The folks that respond with the, 'maybe you shouldn't be flying response', are unhelpful.  Be kind.

Highlighted

Texbabygirl. So sorry to hear your child or was it a grandchild, got addicted to heroin. How sad. No wonder you are so critical of parenting issues. Perhaps I will encourage our daughter to be more lenient so as not to cause such a sense of guilt over her just-turned-two year old toddler not understanding the need to wear a mask when the rules changed a week or two before travel.  Thank you so much for sharing your concerns and your heart. 

Highlighted

New Arrival

Clearly you don't have a 2 yo.

Highlighted

Rising Star

Personally in my view, getting children to wear a mask is like flipping a coin. You've got about a 50% chance of making it happen 😉 I finally flew this past week (yay) and it was much less stressful than I anticipated. Everyone wore masks, but very few children that I saw wore them consistently in the airport, and imo that's probably the best-case scenario anyone can hope for. They are kids. I wouldn't see a problem if the mask-wearing age was raised to something like 5 years old. By then they can have more of an understanding of what is going on instead of just 2 years old.

--Jessica

Highlighted

jksobonya, that’s exactly my age consideration. 👍🏻

Highlighted

I spend my days taking care of other people's broken and damaged children, most of whom, can have their issue traced directly to lack of following directions. Ignoring the sign that indicates 'No diving' in shallow waters, parents allowing their kids to bike and skate without helmets and yes, un- or under-restrained children during transport. Parents who think there is something wrong with neurological function due to organic illness, when all one has to do is look at the 13 year old and ask 'how long have you been abusing inhalants' (huffing gas fumed from mom's car tank). Sure be lenient, don't teach your children to follow rules, assuage your guilt, I'll see your child/grandchild sick, injured or addicted in a few years.

Highlighted

Texbaby, My goodness. How many children have you raised?  She just turned two!!! Please go find another place for your soapbox. You are not helping anyone with a sincere request for advice. Hopefully people who have a need for someone’s help finds a more compassionate person than you to go to.