Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Just turned two years old “no mask”

asullivan
New Arrival

As someone who has just flown with their recently turned 2 year old (and 6 month old) southwest was not understanding in attempting to keep a mask on my two year old. The stewardess would not let me on the plane until it was securely fastened. I stood at the door of the plane, with my child screaming, forcing a mask on his face. I had to physically restrain his arms so we were able to board the plane and he proceeded to scream for the next 40 minutes. I tried many things to distract him, including movies,etc. I would have tried giving him something to eat or drink to calm him down but was afraid that they would kick us off if I did so. (The stewardess said she was gonna try to get us kicked off) After 40 min of screaming my child finally passed out from screaming so much with his face in my lap. Not 20 minutes later the same stewardess came over and woke my child because “I have to check that the mask is on his face” which resulted in him fussing again! ( I had told her that it was still on his face) I was very, very upset with how she handled the whole situation. 

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

@asullivan 

Given that masks are required for all passengers age 2 and up and should be worn at all times, how would you have liked the situation to be handled?  What suggestions do you have?

--TheMiddleSeat

kevin71246
New Arrival

How about with decency? How about with common sense? If the childs face is in her lap then that's the same as wearing a mask. Hating everyone during a pandemic only makes it worse.  There are rules, then there are rediculous enforcement of rules.  If people are afraid then just stay home!!!  Quit inconveniencing the rest of us! 2 is too young to force a mask on. SW has become anti-family airlines. Showing it's true colors. Their policy does NOT mirror the CDC.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

While a face-covering is currently required for everyone older than two, I sincerely apologize for letting you down with our handling of the situation @asullivan. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, however, we encourage you to Contact Customer Relations for assistance with documenting your experience. 

Nicole
Community Manager

lisal2
New Arrival

Reading this brought me to tears. How are they getting away with being so rude! Wake a sleeping baby, utterly ridiculous. Delta is the only airline with compassion for young children now it seems. The facts about transmission just doesn't add up with these rules for toddlers. I am deathly afraid of flying tomorrow with my 2 yr old. My fear of being scorned and eyeballed the whole flight is worse than catching the virus right now. I don't have daycare and work full time and I have to fly so that my mother can watch my child. I think I just may drug myself and her...dont see any other way to survive this experience.

Texbabygirl

I think a two year old is capable of wearing a mask.

Passenger1C
Rising Star

@LisaG  sorry to hear about their experience especially since you said it was essential travel. People who don’t understand the overall stress of flying with children really don’t matter and will find something else to complain about when they land. Of course it’s easier to fly for work without my family, but when I see a family struggling, I offer assistance because I have been in their shoes.  It’s very stressful! 

Try to have the parents realize they are doing all they can, and this is only a short moment in time. Any adult who feels that a 2 year old child is purposely threatening their health by pulling their mask off really should be staying at home. 

I hope their flight home will be a better experience. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Texbabygirl

I don't think any one is discussing intent. Masks are required over two years of age 

LisaG

Passenger 1c Thank you so much for your kind support. 

redflyer2
New Arrival

First off, I do not have children. But when parents are traveling alone with little ones, they deserve a bit of compassion.  The fact that the FA felt the need to wake the little boy to see that his mask was in place, in my eyes, seems like she was trying to stir the pot. 

This is my opinion, not fact.  The folks that respond with the, 'maybe you shouldn't be flying response', are unhelpful.  Be kind.