Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Re: Just turned two years old “no mask”

I wish people would stop expecting others to take on risks for their child. I am a cancer survivor whose immune system isn't the best. If kids won't wear masks, then the family needs to drive or charter their own flight.

Highlighted

I understand your concern as a cancer survivor. We are senior citizens and my daughter, the one traveling has immune deficiency as well. However, if you look at the statistics than you will find that young children have a very small percentage of contracting covid and being in a car seat on the plane limits droplets falling on anyone but their parents. Plus, not everyone can afford a private jet. Perhaps you can? 

Highlighted

I think people should plan to follow the rules of carriage, consistent with their printed ticket.

Highlighted

As my greatest “fan” pointed out, I copied and pasted information in response to her opinion so as to share reputable opinion. It appears I may have inadvertently infringed on copyright laws so I have deleted the parts and here is the link. 

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/146/2/e2020004879

Highlighted

You have violated copy right laws by cutting and pasting from the journal.

Highlighted

Employee
Employee

@LisaG wrote:

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) presents arguably the greatest public health crisis in living memory. One surprising aspect of this pandemic is that children appear to be infected by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes COVID-19, far less frequently than adults and, when infected, typically have mild symptoms, although emerging reports of a novel Kawasaki disease–like multisystem inflammatory syndrome necessitate continued surveillance in pediatric patients. However, a major question remains unanswered: to what extent are children responsible for SARS-CoV-2 transmission? Resolving this issue is central to making informed public health decisions, ranging from how to safely re-open schools, child care facilities, and summer camps down to the precautions needed to obtain a throat culture in an uncooperative child. To date, few published data are available to help guide these decisions.

In this issue of Pediatrics, Posfay-Barbe et al report on the dynamics of COVID-19 within families of children with reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction–confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection in Geneva, Switzerland. From March 10 to April 10, 2020, all children <16 years of age diagnosed at Geneva University Hospital (N = 40) underwent contact tracing to identify infected household contacts (HHCs). Of 39 evaluable households, in only 3 (8%) was a child the suspected index case, with symptom onset preceding illness in adult HHCs. In all other households, the child developed symptoms after or concurrent with adult HHCs, suggesting that the child was not the source of infection and that children most frequently acquire COVID-19 from adults, rather than transmitting it to them.

@LisaG, do you mind editing this post to credit your source per our Terms of Use? 

Thank you!

Nicole
Community Manager
Highlighted

Sorry, it was in the body of the information. 

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/146/2/e2020004879

Highlighted

New Arrival

@Texbabygirl  maybe you need to drive or charter your own flight. Since you don’t understand that we wouldn’t be flying with kids if we had other options, who really wants to fly with a two year old unless they need to. So you’re judgement has no place here. K thanks.

Highlighted

New Arrival

I wish people would use common sense. If everyone on the flight had on a mask with the exception of 1 person that is 2 years old, what are the chances of anyone getting infected?  You would have a better change of winning the lottery, being attacked by a polar bear, and struck by lightning in the same day.  Not everyone has the luxury of flying for fun. Some people need to fly for family issues or other issues that require a quick trip over a long distance and also happen to have a 2 year old. During this pandemic, finding baby sitters or a daycare that is open is nearly impossible if you have just moved to a new area.  As a military family we know this way too well.  The point is, take everyone situation into account before you make a generalization like someone with a 2 year old being ok with risking your life.  Also, you have to ask if a 23 month old child can’t transmit COVID at all, but suddenly gains that power at 2 years of age.  There is a reason that most states are mandating masks at ages much higher than 2.  I know Texas is 10 and up.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@JGlass88 wrote:

The point is, take everyone situation into account before you make a generalization like someone with a 2 year old being ok with risking your life.  Also, you have to ask if a 23 month old child can’t transmit COVID at all, but suddenly gains that power at 2 years of age.  There is a reason that most states are mandating masks at ages much higher than 2.  I know Texas is 10 and up.

The reasoning as I understand it is that a child under two years old may not be able to ask for help or verbalize having an issue if they suddenly had a problem and needed to take off their mask. So not that they aren't potentially infectious, but for their own safety at a higher level of risk than virus risk.

Texas having a 10 year old limit sounds like a different scenario than those that have a two year old limit.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.