Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Re: Just turned two years old “no mask”

New Arrival

Let me just say I'm sorry you had to go through cancer, my mother did as well.  But do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?  absolutely ZERO reasons for a two year old to be FORCED to wear a mask, if YOU are uncomfortable with the risk of flying then it is YOU that should be staying home or driving.  What a selfish statement.

Highlighted

I know this is a shot in the dark, but have you tried a face shield.  Maybe SWA can comprimized.  

Highlighted

The Face shield is a great suggestion. Unfortunately, it is no longer allowed. I was hoping to wear a bandanna on myself as I find it much more comfortable. But no such luck.

In alignment with the intention of this policy, these are a few examples of coverings that will not be accepted: (1)Those with holes in the covering, including those with exhalation valves or those made solely of materials like mesh or lace fabrics and (2)Those that cannot be secured under the chin, including bandanas and face shields. Face shields may be worn in addition to face coverings, but not in place of face coverings.

Highlighted

I am hoping they start accepting the face shields soon. Our doctor said they are finding that shields are equally as protective as fabric. I personally have a shield that attaches to a baseball cap or visor which then gives me fuller protection from droplets from above. I hadn’t heard they wouldn’t accept shields or bandannas. 

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@LisaG wrote:

I am hoping they start accepting the face shields soon. Our doctor said they are finding that shields are equally as protective as fabric. I personally have a shield that attaches to a baseball cap or visor which then gives me fuller protection from droplets from above. I hadn’t heard they wouldn’t accept shields or bandannas. 

Face shields are allowed you would just need to wear a mask with the face shield. 

Highlighted

I'm all for, more is better.  I have seen several people with both, including on the plane.  I'm moving that way, and it's allowed, (I'm assuming since I have seen it) as long as you have an additional covering on as well.  I should have done this previously.  

Highlighted

I would do both going on and off but would like to use only the shield during flight as it’s easier to breath. The problem is my granddaughter doesn’t want anything to do with it. I have made matching ones for her dolls and for mommy and daddy. They may have to postpone their trip. 

Highlighted

We are trying that as well. Bought some expensive child shields with cute themes that go all the way from ear to ear. I had read that they allow people who need to read lips use these for travel , but someone else has said they don’t. She even picked the ones she wanted. Have only tried one evening so far. Will try again. But sounds like they won’t accept that either. 

Highlighted

Maybe get some anime or other themed masks that she likes? Make it fun rather than something she has to do?

Good luck!

Highlighted

Thanks, yes. I have made and bought and sent several. Wish they’d choose a little older for this requirement. A little young to be able to explain why she has to.