Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: LOST BAG: 48 DAYS AND COUNTING

Benhill384
Explorer A

You’re missing the point. People should be held accountable.

i am short on neither time nor money, FYI. In my line of work, I’m expected to make right any mistakes that I make. 

Though that idea may seem foreign to you, it’s a general principle that when an error is made, you take accountability. And if that requires outside help, so be it. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Benhill384 wrote:

i am short on neither time nor money, FYI.

This thread is hilarious 😂

First of all -- 22 phone calls? Seriously? 

You'd have much better luck contacting Southwest via social media anyway - I get pretty  immediate responses via Twitter Direct Message. 

Second of all -- if you're short of neither time nor money, cut your losses and move on. Bags get lost. It happens all the time. Unfortunately, it happened to you. If you did the proper thing and filed a claim within 4 hours of arriving at your destination, that is the correct course of action and wait for a response to your claim. If they have not responded in 5 days:

What happens if my bag is never located? 

Instructions on how to file a claim for lost baggage will be provided to you at the time you make an incident report with one of our Employees at the airport. If your bag is not located by the local Baggage Service Office after five days, you may download the form necessary to pursue your claim with Central Baggage Services from our Baggage Claim Web Portal. Please have your incident number available in order to access the portal.

More info: https://www.southwest.com/faq/lost-damaged-baggage

--Jessica

Benhill384
Explorer A

I’m glad you found it hilarious! 

Again- missing the point. Perhaps your fine with having your belongings essentially stolen from you. 

it’s not about the money. It’s the point that people should be held accountable for their errors. Just as I am in my day to day life.

it’s not about the mistake itself- it’s how it’s been handled.

i have followed protocol to a T. Thanks again for another useless response. 

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Semantically, your thinking that SWA "stole" from you is very off-putting.  I'm pretty sure that SWA did not want or need your personal belongings.

Your bag could have been:

Misdirected

Accidently taken by another passenger

Intentionally stolen by another passenger

Intentionally stolen by TSA

Had a damaged routing label 

Misdirected because the wrong destination was typed in by check-in agent

Unfortunately, all of this happens with all airlines on a daily basis.

If your attitude with CS is heavy with your "stealing" scenario and you mention lawyers, you're not setting yourself up for the results you desire.  Just sayin'...

Benhill384
Explorer A

My bag arrived in Denver. It was scanned there. It never arrived on the carousel.

thanks for your theory. 

Benhill384
Explorer A

And it’s $3,800, FYI.

aMomTo6
Adventurer B

@Benhill384 - I, too, had my luggage lost in Denver. Same thing- it got scanned in at destination but never made it to the carousel.  I am in the claim process too. Don't listen to anyone here or try to get advice. No one here has it for this kind of issue because they haven't had your experience.  But, you are the second poster (the previous one was also in DEN, btw!) in the last few weeks with the same issue. And my incident was Jan 10. So, it's definitely a problem in Denver.  But one thing to take note of is that it's Not a Southwest issue if your bag ARRIVED in Denver. It's a Denver Airport issue (or whatever the appropriate term is for the services on the ground handling bags in Denver). Your claim (and mine) isn't even with Southwest. It's an insurance claim with the transportation department at DEN, if i am not mistaken.  

I am sorry that everyone here is so trite about your missing things and the value of them. There are a lot of whiny, fake posters here so maybe everyone is jaded. Sorry. 

You are right, it is $3800 valuation for lost luggage items. And it is such an unbelievable headache to itemize and value everything!! I was on my way to my son's wedding (!!!).  I wasn't carrying seriously valuable items except a new dress and somewhat expensive wine. Both I had receipts for but after that: my favorite EVERYTHING: sandals, dresses, jeans, pantsuit, sweaters, blouses, cosmetics, toiletries... No one brings the stuff they hate on an important trip! It's all gone. I don't have receipts for it. Who keeps that for several years??  It took me probably 30 hours to piece together the claim. And, with nothing terribly valuable, I could still account for about around $2k in loss in that one bag - including the new(ish) bag I used once pre-pandemic. No, I didn't save that $200 receipt from 2019. Dumb me, I guess. 

@TheMiddleSeat@dfwskier , @CupCrusher40  Give this guy a break. You just have no idea how painfully frustrating this situation is. No idea. I do. Give him a break. Sometimes people truly have really bad SWA experiences and they come here to vent or get advice. Just give 'em a break. 

Benhill384
Explorer A

Amomto6

I appreciate your compassion. It seems to be quite the foreign concept to some people that taking accountability for their mistakes should be a standard of practice. You seem to be the only person who would also be up in arms if thousands of dollars of your personal items were essentially stolen with no regard. 

i was nothing but patient and kind and gracious for the first month- but everyone has their tipping point- so to answer someone else’s question- I absolutely reached out to my attorney (to whom I pay a yearly retainer FYI) because it seems as though being quiet and understanding doesn’t really get the ear of Southwest Airlines. 

again- hope this never happens to any of you who made the useless responses- and that your first (post cancer) vacation isn’t obliterated by an airlines negligence and disregard.

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Any updates? 

I once had to deal with AA for a screw-up and it took about 4+ months before I saw any resolution (AA vouchers and a nice check). I did it all via their website and email. It is frustrating but this stuff does happen often. It's even more annoying when it happens to ourselves. Good luck with the bag and hopefully they can get it to you soon with an adequate resolution.