Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LOST BAG: 48 DAYS AND COUNTING

Benhill384
Explorer A

In January, my luggage was lost with little sympathy from Southwest. I filed a claim, was basically called a liar in a brief response through southwest’s portal because I hadn’t supplied receipts. 

WHO KEEPS RECEIPTS FOR THINGS THEY DONT INTEND TO RETURN, GIFTS, ETC.

After scouring bank statements I provided some documentation. That was THREE weeks ago. I am currently on hold for the 22nd time. 1 hour, 10 minutes, and counting. 

This experience has been well documented, recorded phone calls, etc. my attorney is currently on standby to join the phone call once I’m connected. Next stop, social media. 

18 REPLIES 18

Re: LOST BAG: 48 DAYS AND COUNTING

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

lol attorney?  Have you ever read the contract of carriage?

--TheMiddleSeat

Benhill384
Explorer A

Middle seat, is this your full time job?

if you’re response is of zero help, perhaps direct your energy into something more productive,

keyboard warrior. 

and yes, a big word for you I’m sure, but my attorney is now involved as my belongings have essentially been stolen by Southwest. Scanned at my destination, never made it to carousel. If you’re lucky, maybe someday you’ll have a similar experience. I’ll look forward to discussing it with you. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'll take that as a "no".

Since you haven't read the contract of carriage, I'll provide you the relevant section:

Carrier will compensate the Passenger for reasonable, documented damages
incurred as a direct result of the loss of, damage to, or substantially delayed
delivery of such Baggage up to the limit of liability, provided the Passenger has
exercised reasonable efforts and good judgment to minimize the amount of
damage. Actual value for reimbursement of lost or damaged property shall be
determined by the documented original purchase price less depreciation for prior
usage.

Now if you want to pay an attorney to read the contract to you that's fine, go right ahead.  Bags get lost.  It's unfortunate, but it is part of traveling on any airline.  When it happens you are stuck with the terms and conditions you agreed to when you purchased the ticket, that includes providing documentation of value.

Any more fun insults you want to toss my way after providing reasonable answers to your complaints?

--TheMiddleSeat

Benhill384
Explorer A

Middle Seat,

You’re missing the point here. There’s zero accountability. I missed nearly every event that My trip revolved around because of Southwest’s negligence. I am fully aware of the contract/carry.

receipts have been provided, this experience is fully documented. Now feel free to return to your video games. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

So you just want to rant and have everyone feel sorry for you?  What are you trying to accomplish here?

That was a pretty sad "insult".  Try again?

--TheMiddleSeat

Benhill384
Explorer A

Dude, enough. Seriously. Move on to another post.

and as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. It sure hasn’t helped my case to be quiet and patient for the last 48 days. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I think the max reimbursement for any lost/damaged bags is $3000 (by statute).

Assuming your attorney succeeds in getting a full settlement (not likely), how much of that $3000 will be used to pay your attorney?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

The overhead bins are so so much easier. You see the bag and you do not have to wait to claim it. You would be surprised how much you can fit in them if items folded nicely.

Benhill384
Explorer A

That you for that tip! I had no idea there was such a thing!

seriously?