Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LUV Voucher Extension - Awful Customer Service

pittjalex
Explorer C

Has anyone else had a beyond miserable experience dealing with SW and trying to have the Luv vouchers extended?

After an awful flight experience with failed landing gear, I was sent 6 Luv vouchers which we were unable to use during COVID.  I was advised to call back within 6 months of the expiration and request an extension.  That is exactly what I did when I called 5 days before the deadline.  I was told at that time new vouchers would be issued within 5-20 days.  When they were not, I called again and was informed that there was an issue with "headquarters" and that the vouchers would be coming.  I called at the end of July and beginning of August as I was now 2 months into the 6-month extension and, thanks to Southwest's continued incompetence, new vouchers were not issued.  It is clear to me that Southwest's modus operandi is to screw its customers by delaying, delaying, delaying so that use of the Luv vouchers is essentially rendered pointless because the flights you wanted to take are sold out or the price is raised so high that it would have been cheaper to book without the vouchers.

Two calls later, I was fooled to believe that SW would issue new vouchers with a new 6-month window since nearly half of the original extension had already lapsed.  Silly me 

for thinking Southwest would actually put the customer first.  When those vouchers were not delivered, I called yet again and spoke with a Manager in Customer Service to learn that Customer Service was no longer able to help me since this was an issue with "headquarters."  I was provided with no number because headquarters no longer accepts incoming calls and no other recourse other than to email this generic inbox.

Just awful.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: LUV Voucher Extension - Awful Customer Service

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You making all sorts of incorrect assumptions about Southwest trying to screw you is probably not helping since I would assume that same lovely attitude is carried over into any interactions you have with employees.

My recent experience with this process was quite good.  I sent a message using the send a message link on the contact us page explaining that I would like to request the expired travel funds X, Y, and Z for passengers A, B, and C be reissued as LUV vouchers and I understand the value of each travel fund would be reduced by $100 each (insert please and thank you here).  I received a reply that my request would be looked at and then 36 days later I received another reply with the vouchers.  Yes, this timeline was longer than what you may have been given, but patience is often required when asking for help with an issue.

Since you have dealt with other delays perhaps a nice message using the same link that I referred to above would help.

--TheMiddleSeat

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@pittjalex I'm so sorry for the less-than-pleasant experience you've had trying to get your expired LUV Vouchers reinstated. While 1-800-I-FLY-SWA can now assist with these types of exception requests, it sounds like there's an issue, and you need to talk to Customer Relations. I am so sorry for the difficulty in reaching them.

As a Customer-to-Customer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations by social media in addition to the email you submitted in case you're able to get a faster response. 

Nicole
Community Manager

bthoskins1
Explorer C

Nicole, I am also having issues getting help with this. Can you assist?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@bthoskins1 For customer service use the contact us link at the bottom of this page.

--TheMiddleSeat

jrbesch
Explorer C

Yes, I have had nearly the identical experience.  LUV vouchers expired 1/4/21.  I called on 7/2/21 to have them extended.  No problem, I was told.  A case was opened, and I was told it might take UP TO 4 weeks.  No worries, as I was not in a big hurry to use them.  As of today, it has now been 11 weeks and 3 days, and I still do not have them.  I have called Customer Relations THREE times since 8/11, and after 30-45 minutes on the phone each time, was basically told, "yes, we are working on this -- call us back if you don't have them in a couple weeks".  No one is willing to give me any real information about the status or why it is taking so long.  It's inexcusable and, yes, horrible customer service.  And to the poster who chastised you because they assumed you weren't nice to the agents, I say that's a load of crap.  I have been perfectly nice each time I have called, and it has gotten me nowhere.  The agents have all been reasonably cordial, but completely unhelpful.  Yes, Southwest is certainly jerking me around, probably hoping I will just give up and they will never have to reissue the vouchers as they promised.  They definitely come nowhere close to living up to their high-minded claims about great customer service -- it is in fact some of the worst I have ever experienced.  I will most assuredly NOT be very nice the next time I call.  A week ago, I started submitting a new complaint about this every day through their web site, hoping that may finally get their attention.  So far it hasn't.  Today I will be submitting a complaint to the BBB -- maybe that will work -- I've had luck with that in the past with other businesses.  I'm well beyond angry at this point, as I am now trying to make travel plans for Xmas as the fares keep going up but I still don't have my vouchers.  Completely unacceptable.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jrbesch Send a written message with the confirmation number of the expired travel fund and details of your previous communication.  Then you have a paper trail and, based on my experience, will have no problem getting the vouchers.  No one is jerking you around.

--TheMiddleSeat

jrbesch
Explorer C

Send a written message where?  Email?  As I said, I have done that multiple times -- I have a slew of claim numbers -- it is quite well documented.  And 11+ weeks when I was told it would be 4 "at the very most" certainly constitutes jerking me around.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jrbesch Go to Contact Us at the bottom of the page and select send a message.

Do you really think someone is sitting at Southwest thinking "hahaha this is the one customer I'm going to mess with and jerk around"?  No one is out to get you.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jrbesch wrote:

Yes, I have had nearly the identical experience.  LUV vouchers expired 1/4/21.  I called on 7/2/21 to have them extended.  No problem, I was told.  A case was ...

These were already vouchers that you had from some previous experience, and not travel funds? 

I'm only asking as it comes up on this board quite a bit with the terms mixed up.

Same question for @pittjalex 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.