Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LUV Voucher Torpedoed my Travel Funds

tarooka
Explorer C

My usual experience with SWA turned from Delighted to Exasperated. I booked a RT flight to LAX in June of this year. The $300 + fare had to be canceled due to illness. I booked using my SWA CC. I did use a LUV Voucher for $50 and that was the issue.

Apparently the reservation adopts the "expiration date" of the voucher, in this case August 2019. I found this out after trying to apply my "Travel Funds" for a November flight. Two calls to SWA, with the last being to Customer Relations. The net result is they could give me an extension of my funds after deducting a $100 fee, each way. This would include another voucher.

I did receive a bit of a lecture. In order to claim a travel credit you must use the locator ID of the original reservation. I also must review the reservation receipt for any fine print.

The initial gesture of a "$50 Luv Voucher" cost me $250.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: LUV Voucher Torpedoed my Travel Funds

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@tarooka wrote:

My usual experience with SWA turned from Delighted to Exasperated. I booked a RT flight to LAX in June of this year. The $300 + fare had to be canceled due to illness. I booked using my SWA CC. I did use a LUV Voucher for $50 and that was the issue.

Apparently the reservation adopts the "expiration date" of the voucher, in this case August 2019. I found this out after trying to apply my "Travel Funds" for a November flight. Two calls to SWA, with the last being to Customer Relations. The net result is they could give me an extension of my funds after deducting a $100 fee, each way. This would include another voucher.

I did receive a bit of a lecture. In order to claim a travel credit you must use the locator ID of the original reservation. I also must review the reservation receipt for any fine print.

The initial gesture of a "$50 Luv Voucher" cost me $250.

Yes, that's how it works -- anytime you use a voucher or travel funds the new booking takes on the earliest expiration date of any vouchers or funds applied. This is mentioned on the voucher itself and on the website when you apply the funds but many overlook it.

There's lots more info in a discussion here:

Expired voucher caused ticket to exprie?  

One thing: That fee should only be $100 per passenger per confirmation number, not each way.

Hope this helps!

Re: LUV Voucher Torpedoed my Travel Funds

WZiel-SWC
Explorer A

Yes I have run into this myself. That is why I use the voucher and other "refunds" to make sure I am booking a flight that I will not be editing.

A while back I almost lost 200 when trying to spend $10 from a prior trip.   I now keep track of "end dates" to make sure.