Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LUV Voucher and Cancellation

mc8bt
Explorer C

Preemptive apologies if this is a really dumb question that I just haven't been able to find the answer to yet.  I've read the FAQs, the fine print, and searched this forum but still don't have a clear answer.  I could reach out to Customer Relations but this isn't really a serious issue and there are plenty of folks who actually need to get in touch with them so I don't feel the need to just add to their queue.  Thus, I come to you fine people.  

In addition to some travel funds that are part of the Sept 2022 extension, I also have a LUV voucher that is going to expire well before Sept 2022 (no complaints here).  Obviously, I will be using the LV to book my next trip and holding the funds until a later date.  However, since the Voucher doesn't cover taxes and fees I'll be needing a second form of payment, likely my credit card.  I understand that should I cancel the ticket, per the fine print on the Voucher, "the earliest expiration date of all payments applies. Once the voucher is applied to a reservation, it can only be used by the ticketed Passenger." Again, no complaints, that part is clear. 

I want to maximize the value I can get while maintaining the flexibility that SW is great about but I haven't been able to figure out what specifically happens to the LUV Voucher and "cash" payment should I cancel the ticket.  Based on the wording above - referencing it can only be used by the ticketed passenger - I feel like the entire value of the ticket converts to a travel fund with the same expiration as the voucher (as that would be the only form of payment I'm using with an expiration).  Does anyone know if that interpretation is the correct one?  Does it split between a new LUV Voucher and a travel fund?  Or does it do something else that I haven't even thought of yet?  Please tell me I get my own private jet...

Thanks for any insight you can give! 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: LUV Voucher and Cancellation

gsking
Aviator C
Solution

You are correct... you get new TF with that expiration date.  Luv voucher and cash are "gone".

kirstic
Explorer C

I just want to confirm, because I have a similar question. That the LUV voucher expiration date is then transferred to the Travel Credit expiration date if your flight is canceled? So say my LUV Voucher expires 5/1/21, I cancel my flight, then I'm issued a travel credit that will still expire on 5/1/21? Or am I issued a new expiration date with that Travel Credit.

mc8bt
Explorer C

It will apply the earliest expiration date of whatever you use to pay.  So if the only part of your payment with an expiration day is the Voucher with a 5/1/21 date, then it'll still expire on 5/1/21.  But if you used another travel fund with an earlier date (say, for example, 4/15/21) then the entire newly generated fund will carry that date (4/15), not the 5/1.  

bec102896
Aviator A

So when you book a reservation with the LUV voucher and credit card you will get a flight confirmation number should you cancel the flight the funds (the LUV voucher and credit card funds) will be held under that confirmation number that you canceled and those funds will expire 5/1/21 (or the date your LUV voucher expires) 

if Southwest were to cancel your flight you could reach out to customer relations to see about an extension but until you reach out those funds will be held under the confirmation number with the May 1st expiration date  

mc8bt
Explorer C

Perfect.  Thank you!