Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: LUV Voucher

NeedALittleHelp
Explorer B

How quickly - once a LUV voucher-paid ticket is cancelled - are travel credits issued?

I'm in a weird situation in that I hadn't understood that LUV Vouchers do still expire. Mine expire mid-October, and thinking the expiration date no longer mattered, I was trying to book a trip for the end of October with them. It wouldn't accept them as payment and gave me a message saying the trip was happening post-expiration date.

I googled and saw that I could request an extension, so I called and inquired about this. The CSR said I definitely could extend them by 6 more months. The hiccup? They send a paper voucher, which takes 6-10 days to arrive.

I would love to use them by the end of the day to receive the companion pass for the first three months of 2023, and lock in the current price of the tickets I wanted to buy.

Is there any way I can pull that off in the next five hours?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@NeedALittleHelp travel credits are issued immediately. They are tied specifically to the passenger named on the canceled flight so use the voucher to book for whomever you actually want to fly. That's definitely a better plan than requesting a voucher extension.

Edit: keep in mind the deadline for the promotion is midnight central time. 

--TheMiddleSeat

NeedALittleHelp
Explorer B

Thanks! Very helpful!

So can travel credits be used to book flights for others, or only for the person who 'owns' the credits? Say I wanted to book a flight for my husband and I, and I had enough travel credits to cover both of our flights, could I book and pay for us both with the credits?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@NeedALittleHelp wrote:

So can travel credits be used to book flights for others, or only for the person who 'owns' the credits? Say I wanted to book a flight for my husband and I, and I had enough travel credits to cover both of our flights, could I book and pay for us both with the credits?

Vouchers can be used by anyone.  Travel credits from Wanna Get Away fares can only be used by the person who reservation was cancelled or changed which led to the travel credit being used.  If your end goal is to purchase a $200 flight for 2 people and you have a $400 voucher you need to use that voucher to buy 2 $200 flights for any random flight occurring before the expiration date.  Then immediately cancel that flight and you will have 2 $200 travel credits, one associated with each person.  Then use those credits to book the flight you actually want to take which is past the expiration date of the original voucher.

BTW, please create new threads with your questions instead of hijacking other people's threads.

--TheMiddleSeat

NeedALittleHelp
Explorer B

Thanks - and sorry, this wasn't intended to be a hijack. I was looking for a conversation about LUV Vouchers and whether they would become flight credits, and just needing more details about how that exchange plays out in the long run. My initial thinking was it is an entirely good thing to do something to create that conversion, but it appears that this isn't always to your advantage if you want to use your funds to pay for others' tickets.

Again, my apologies.