Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LUV Voucher

kerari
Explorer C

I have a Sothest LUV Voucher for $100 and I'm wondering if I can buy a flight for someone else using that Voucher? I won't be flying anytime soon, but I want to flight my mom home to visit me and that voucher would be great help.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: LUV Voucher

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Absolutely. Vouchers can be used by anyone, unlike Travel Funds which are locked in the name of the original passenger. Be aware though that vouchers only cover the airfare portion, not any taxes or fees, which will have to be paid separately, with a credit card or travel funds.

ogguaman
Explorer C

How many vouchers can you use with one flight? For instance i have two $100 vouchers. The flight portion (minus taxes and other government charges) is over $200. Can I use both vouchers on one flight?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ogguaman wrote:

How many vouchers can you use with one flight? For instance i have two $100 vouchers. The flight portion (minus taxes and other government charges) is over $200. Can I use both vouchers on one flight?

Yes, you can.  I believe the rule is that you cannot use more than three forms of payment on one ticket. You would be doing that: the two vouchers and another form of payment for the balance over $200.

rich1954
Adventurer A

Is the voucher in your name? If so I think you have to use it for your travel only. That's what SW told me awhile back.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@rich1954 wrote:

Is the voucher in your name? If so I think you have to use it for your travel only. That's what SW told me awhile back.

No, that's incorrect. Perhaps you're confusing a LUV Voucher with Travel Funds.

LUV Voucher: Can be used by anyone, good towards airfare only, not any taxes or fees.

Travel Funds: Can be used by the original passenger only, towards airfare and taxes/fees.

rich1954
Adventurer A

My voucher had my name on it and I was the only one that could use it. It also expired one year later after it was issued.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@rich1954 wrote:

My voucher had my name on it and I was the only one that could use it. It also expired one year later after it was issued.

That doesn't really follow official policy. Can you tell us why/how you received that voucher?

rich1954
Adventurer A

The original flight was delayed and I missed connecting flight in Denver so I had to get a room for the night. $200 voucher was issued.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@rich1954 wrote:

The original flight was delayed and I missed connecting flight in Denver so I had to get a room for the night. $200 voucher was issued.

That would explain the one-year expiration (many LUV vouchers expire in 6 months, such as those issued when expired Travel Funds are converted). But unfortunately, you were given incorrect information -- the voucher could have been used for travel by anyone, not just you.

Here's some info for reference:

Southwest® LUV Vouchers:

Southwest Airlines accepts Southwest LUV Vouchers for Passenger travel on Southwest Airlines purchased through Southwest Airlines, excluding the Southwest Airlines Group Desk and Southwest Airlines Vacations. Southwest LUV Vouchers may be redeemed at Southwest.com, through Southwest Airlines Reservations, and at Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter locations. To redeem a Southwest LUV Voucher, purchaser must have a Southwest LUV Voucher number and associated security code.

Southwest LUV Vouchers Terms and Conditions:

Southwest LUV Vouchers and air fare paid with Southwest LUV Vouchers are subject to the applicable incorporated terms, Contract of Carriage, and rules and regulations of Southwest Airlines.

1. Southwest LUV Vouchers are valid as a form of payment toward future air fare only on Southwest Airlines through Southwest.com, toll-free Reservations 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792), or at any Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter.
  2. Southwest LUV Vouchers must be redeemed and all travel completed by the expiration date indicated. If applied in conjunction with any other accepted form(s) of payment, the earliest expiration date of all payments applies. Once the voucher is applied to a reservation, it can only be used by the ticketed Passenger. Validity of Southwest LUV Vouchers will not be extended and any unused value will be forfeited upon expiration.
  3. Southwest LUV Vouchers are not redeemable as payment toward Government-imposed segment fees, excise taxes, Passenger Facility Charges, or September 11th Security Fees or as payment toward miscellaneous charges, Southwest Airlines Group tickets, Southwest Airlines Vacations packages, or travel either wholly or in part on other air carriers.
  4. Southwest LUV Vouchers and travel issued in exchange for Southwest LUV Vouchers have no cash value and cannot be exchanged for cash or other monetary consideration. Southwest LUV Vouchers will not be replaced if lost, stolen, or destroyed.
  5. To redeem a Southwest LUV Voucher, purchaser must have a Southwest LUV Voucher number and associated security code. If a balance remains after redemption, please retain this Southwest LUV Voucher number and security code for future use.
  6. Southwest LUV Vouchers are VOID if sold, altered, purchased, brokered, and/or bartered.