Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lap child baggage

moniquemiller
Explorer C

I have 2 question the first being are lap children allowed a carry-on i.e. a diaper bag. Second question is are lap children counted as a lap item?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Lap child baggage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It might be easier if you provided more information about everything you were planning/hoping to carry on, then we can provide opinions based on the complete picture. 

The child itself won't count towards anything and does not get an official baggage allowance.  In general if you can put a bag under the seat and a bag overhead you're fine. Often, an additional bag overhead won't cause problems. People tend to be understanding that a baby would need a diaper bag while mom needs a purse and perhaps a roller bag. 

Are there other paid passengers traveling with you? You can combine baggage allowance, for example one person has one bag, another person has three bags. 

moniquemiller
Explorer C

So because it's me and my husband and we'l both have a lap child what I planned on bringing was two small carryon bags 1 with snacks and food for all of us and the other with books coloring books a tablet and laptop both these bags are small more like a diaper bag size then a carryon size. I also would like to bring a diaper bag since we have 2 lap children I can' really fit it into the other bags and a boppy  pillow to help me nurse my 2 month old. Thank you!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I'm having trouble finding a citation, but I have seen that a diaper bag could be treated as a specialty item (category of medical equipment or assistive devices), and not count towards your bag + personal item.

If you husband only has one bag he can also take one so that you are clearly under, or if the older child is toddling they might hold the pillow....but I think it is fine either way.

Any suggestion from @CareforNOLA?

Just to clarify...older child is also under two years old?

David

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

moniquemiller
Explorer C

Thank you 🙂 and yes my older child is 23 months so just under 2 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@moniquemillerwrote:

Thank you 🙂 and yes my older child is 23 months so just under 2 

I am trying to squeeze in two or more trips in April with my then 23.9 month old as well.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

moniquemiller
Explorer C

Nice!

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

Sorry for delay in reply as I have had other time demands.  My main suggestions are to think consolidation and flexibility.  Instead of two small bags, consolidate into one bag with a wide opening so you can dig things out.  Once I became a mother, the diaper bag became the purse so I did not have two things.  The diaper bag can also double as the boppy pillow since its function is to position and elevate.  Just put all the soft stuff on the outside with hard stuff on in the inside.  

Happy travels!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/carryon-bags-pol.html

Per SW's site:

Customers traveling with children will be allowed to check one stroller and one Child Restraint System (CRS) or car seat per child without charge. This is in addition to the regular free baggage allowance.

The stroller and CRS or car seat allowance applies to any type of stroller (umbrella, full size, jogging stroller, etc.) and CRS or car seat.

The Customer may check the stroller and CRS or car seat at the curb, ticket counter, or gate. Southwest Airlines will not assume liability for damage to strollers, CRS’s or car seats.

An optional Southwest-branded reusable car seat/stroller bag is available for purchase at any Southwest Airlines ticket counter for a $17 onetime fee. Bag dimensions are 42”X20.5X12.5”.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

sfarlow
Explorer B

Just and FYI there is no such thing as a lap item.