Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lap or carseat

ammiemcd
Explorer C

I'm looking to travel by myself with my 8 month old. I don't know which one to do have him as a lap child or bring his infant seat for him to use if he wants. I'm super conflicted! We will be on a 2 hour flight

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Lap or carseat

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C

Hi @ammiemcd -

This is a common concern! Here are some things to consider that might help you make your decision. 

- Airline travel is very safe. That said, they do strap down the coffee pots!

- A two hour flight will go by really quickly. 

- I would guess that you will need your car seat on the other side. Nice to know exactly where it is. 

- His car seat is a familiar place to him, possibly making it a more comfortable flight for him. 

- If there is a seat available, you do not have to purchase a seat for him. Only if you want him guaranteed his own seat. 

There are pros and cons to both sides. But either way you'll be able to utilize Family Boarding, between the A and B groups. That will allow you to board and get situated. 

For what its worth, anytime I am traveling to where I'll need my car seats at arrival, I typically bring them on the plane with me. 🙂

ammiemcd
Explorer C

I'm nervous because he is so active and such that it could be a mess without it. I don't need it on the other side but there is part of me who is like oh don't buy the ticket just in case there is an opening and just wasted the money, but then the other part knows it's possible that might not happen.. I think part of me is worried that I'm a "short and stout" kinda woman and it wouldn't be comfortable for us. 

I do have a question as to bringing it.. How do strap it in, just around the top with no base? Would I need yo bring the manual to show my graco is flight approved?

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C

That's actually my other reason too ... except when my son was really tiny and breastfeeding all the time, it wasn't comfortable to travel with him in my lap. 

As far as using the seat Inflight, you don't use the base. If it's an infant carry seat (the "first stage" kind with the handle) you just run the belt through the belt path on top. Your manual should show you how to do that properly (it's the same as using it in a car without a base). You also have to put the seat in a window. It's not allowed anywhere else. 

And you dont need to bring anything. Your seat should have a sticker on it somewhere saying it's FAA approved. 

And, maybe call SWA directly and ask them if they would refund the ticket if there happens to be a seat open. You can also ask about infant fares. Depending on how far out from your trip, the infant fare might be cheaper than a full fare. 

jbecker0604
Explorer C

This was a helpful post, but have one more question to add... if I carry on the car seat and there is no seat available, do I then walk it back to the door to check it under the plane?