Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Large ESA Dog

jourdan_5
Explorer C

My ESA companion is a 90lb Rottweiler. I am concerned about him fitting within my footroom... Does anyone know for sure if he will fit? Do I need to contact Southwest directly? Any input would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who also travel with large ESA animals.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Large ESA Dog

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Here are a few notes about animal size from Southwest's ESA web page

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol....

• A leashed animal can be placed on the aircraft floor or on the Customer’s lap (provided the animal is no larger than a child under the age of two). 

Animals must not:

• Extend into the aircraft aisle
  • Occupy an aircraft seat
  • Occupy a tray table
  • Extend beyond the footprint of the Customer’s seat

The last bullet point regarding the footprint of the seat is probably the most applicable rule. If you would like further clarification you'll want to contact Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

calico-chf
Explorer C

Hi jourdan_5, I was wondering if you ever got clarity on this issue. I have read every article and called Southwest support and I am still not clear. Some places say as long as they are leashed it's okay, some say they must be able to fit into a carrier, some places say they will make room in the bulkhead or you can purchase another seat.

I'm not clear but need my ESA, who is a larger dog, to travel with me.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Large animals typically get put in bulkhead rows. The airline is not letting people sit in bulkhead seats today - due to the virus, I suspect that you can make a case for a bulkhead seat given your situation. Your pup and your should have enough room. Also, since middle seats are not being used, you could take a window seat and your pup could ooze into center seat space on the floor. You could not do that from an aisle seat.