Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Large costume prop: carry-on?

brightdreamer
Explorer C

I am traveling to a comic convention next weekend and I have a large costume prop that has no way to fit in my checked luggage. It is a long spray-painted pvc pipe about 60" long. How should I go about bringing this along? Will it fit in an overhead bin? It's very narrow but I worry about it being too long. If I put it in a box I could check it as a second piece of luggage but that would be hugely inconvenient to carry around once I arrive at my destination. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Large costume prop: carry-on?

Coastercub
Explorer B

Hello BrightDreamer!

I work at southwest as a flight attendent, and I also will be working at DragonCon next weekend! (Assuming that is the con you are headed to)

I want to be clear I am answering this question on my own and not in an official capacity as a Southwest Employee. 

The answer to best give give you is a Maybe.  Technically I think a 60" item would fit in an overhead. 

Thr southwest carry-on restrictions a on its website says this : Carryon bag dimensions are limited to
10 x 16 x 24 inches.

now having said that that I can tell you that there are exceptions. We allow passengers to bring guitars on board which exceed that dimension. And of course crutches which are required as an ADA accessibility item. 

You have three paths you could try. When you get to your gate ask to speak to the ops agent for your flight, and explain your situation.  If your item is mainly just long and not too bulky (like a staff or rod) you would probably be ok. If however they say "No", you may be required to place it under the plane, as checked baggage.  This doesn't mean it will break but it does mean fewer guarantees.  

There are two other options you could explore. Mail it to the hotel you will be staying at for the con. This would solve the problem the neatest. Be aware the hotel may charge you an acceptance fee for delivering packages. But call them and ask. 

The third option would be to design or re-design your prop so it could be segmented and reassembled and glued together when you get to Atlanta. I know that may be the hardest option but it might be your best bet. 

Also, there is a moderator who works for this forum in an official capacity I believe. They might reach out to you with more information as well. 

I hope this this information is helpful!