Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Last 3 Rows

bullman63
Explorer C

Got onto a plane that was only carrying about 30 passengers and was told by an attendant that we couldn’t sit in the last three rows due to weight distribution. Is this a Southwest policy?  Because in the same situation on at least two occasions this was NOT what was done. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Last 3 Rows

bec102896
Aviator A

hello 

i personally have not heard of a can't sit in the last 3 rows rule but I do know people have to be spread out a bit for weight reasons so I am guessing they had a reason but usually when there are 30 people on the plane I don't go to the very back but instead mid cabin near exit row area 

was it just you in your party? Maybe if there were 2 or 3 in your party that would mess up the weight 

the other thought is there is a lot of weight in the back with drinks and FAs (they are light but each FA adds up) and other equipment so maybe that's why you had to sit in the 4th row from the back forward 

But hey on the bright side you can get a row to yourself if you want it.

hope this helps

Blake 

Re: Last 3 Rows

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bullman63 wrote:

Got onto a plane that was only carrying about 30 passengers and was told by an attendant that we couldn’t sit in the last three rows due to weight distribution. Is this a Southwest policy?  Because in the same situation on at least two occasions this was NOT what was done. 

I think they do need to keep all passengers in front of the FA, and with so few people on the flights the FA may sit in the rear rows instead of the jump seats.

Balancing the weight would also depend on checked bags and on cargo that may be flying, so it isn't unreasonable that situations would vary between flights if the captain had a preference to keep people up front for some reason.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.