Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Last minute deals with flexible locations ?

J295
Explorer C

We sometimes just want to get away on short notice, and are quite flexible on destinations.  Is there any opportunties to find lower priced last minute flights (say out of airport XXX within the next  days) irrespective of destinations?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Last minute deals with flexible locations ?

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@J295

It is hard to say, but just look it up SWA travel board, and do us a favor, don't even take a risk on purchasing the last minutes tickets.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you know what non-stop destinations are available from your home airport start with those as non-stop routes tend to be cheaper than those with a connection.  Next, some of the those non-stops tend to be cheaper than others on a consistent basis so you would know where to start looking.  Now, that also means you would tend to end up going to the same locations if you only considered the cheapest destinations.

For example, out of Denver, Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, and Phoenix tend to be the cheapest destinations.  Dallas, Chicago, and San Diego are generally in the next group of slightly higher prices.  As with any route, supply and demand changes especially with seasonal things such as Spring Break, skiing, etc.  In general, certain days tend to be more expensive on all routes such as Sundays (especially in the evening when everyone is going home after a weekend break), Mondays when business travelers are heading out, and Fridays when everyone is flying.

So, lots of factors and there's no simple, easy way to tell, but if you look at the trends with your home airport you can know where to start.

And @DfDrPepper_23, your comment doesn't make much sense, there is no additional risk when purchasing a last minute fare.  All of Southwest's standard cancelation policies still apply.

--TheMiddleSeat

J295
Explorer C

Thank you!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@J295 wrote:

We sometimes just want to get away on short notice, and are quite flexible on destinations.  Is there any opportunties to find lower priced last minute flights (say out of airport XXX within the next  days) irrespective of destinations?

There's not a way to do exactly what you want, but there is a way that is more work

First try to book a flight for s for later this week say Dallas to Chicago

Then when that screen is up click on low fare calendar that will give you the lowest prices for any day this month (or any future month for that matter)

Then click on modify the routing and say change it to Dallas to Detroit

Then the lowest fares from Dallas to Detroit this month will show up.

Yeah you have to do it one city at a time, but there probably aren't an unlimited number of cities you want to fly to, are there?

Be aware there aren't many deals of the type you want available anyore.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@J295

Unfortunately there is not an option to do like a cheapest flight on x date from x city (I wish there was for doing my crazy routes) 

i know it may be time consuming but I just click on each city so x-a x-b x-c all the way through the southwest list of cities. I usually start with searches to hubs or popular places (HOU MCO DAL LAX LAS SAN) just to name a few cities I find cheap last minute. This would depend on where you are departing from as some cities don't have great last minute prices like TPA.  

I usually start with ones I know are cheap now like HOU-MCO or LAX-HOU or AUS-DEN (as a few examples). 

If your able to tell me which city you would want to fly out of I could look and see what has good-ok deals for a week or less out. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

J295
Explorer C

Thanks 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@DfDrPepper_23 per our User Guidelines, please keep your tone positive and your comments constructive. 

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@LindseyD 

Excuse me, I am helping one of the passenger with the last minute deal, and you are not making any sense on giving me a warning. I am a advocates of passenger and employee hopeful who are having problems with SWA.

I am getting some ideas that you are showing your biasing on me due to my disabilty.

If you wish to kick me out of SWA board. Please feel free do it at any time.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DfDrPepper_23 wrote:

@LindseyD 

Excuse me, I am helping one of the passenger with the last minute deal, and you are not making any sense on giving me a warning. I am a advocates of passenger and employee hopeful who are having problems with SWA.

I am getting some ideas that you are showing your biasing on me due to my disabilty.

If you wish to kick me out of SWA board. Please feel free do it at any time.

I found your previous comment to provide nothing of value or help to the discussion. You basically said "look it up," and "don't bother."

If you really do wish to provide help to others here, I would suggest you please consider posting constructive comments.