Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Lawsuit filed

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Some believe that Southwest can do no wrong and will defend the brand to the end.  I appreciate that and I suppose I feel the same way about Mercedes.

However, there is no way to explain away the DISASTER that occurred over the Holidays.  There have been many posts in an attempt to distract from the DISASTER, but in the end, Southwest allowed the organization to be in a very bad position.

Shareholders wouldn't be suing if there was no reason.  However, continue to believe that everyone is wrong except you and Southwest.  

How many flights did you have that were canceled during that week? 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@floridaguy I don't want to jump on you, but I think that SWA will feel the brunt of the mishaps of the 22022-holiday season.  Not just in the loss of some loyal customers, but in refunds, accommodation payments, and so on.  Without the academia background you have, I'm still going to say that SWA losses won't get to substantial amounts that will break the bank.  Do I think they should pony up for their failure to not have got a better system so that this may not have happened, YES.  We also seen what happened recently with a national ATC system.  Having this happen, IMO, helps everyone looks to troubleshoot and upgrade so that all airlines can provide a better travel experience.  But to your point of continuous hoping that SWA tanks or pays out their teeth is just crying now.  Good luck in your lawsuit, I'm assuming you're in one or both.   

floridaguy
Aviator C

While I am not part of either lawsuit against Southwest, I do understand the position of the plaintiffs in both cases.

There are plenty of legal theories that speak to neglect and whether the DISASTER of the Holidays was foreseeable and whether there can be liability attached, not just on Southwest but on an individual level.

For shareholders, their complaint is that while Southwest will spend a ton of money smoothing all of this over, they shouldn't have to pay for the bad decisions of others.  

So, we shall see.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Interesting article by Forbes - looks like Southwest is going to take a bath financially.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerdooley/2023/01/06/southwest-meltdown-could-cost-825-million/?sh=57...