Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Locating Unused Travel Funds

floridabound
Explorer C

This is definitely a problem that Southwest could remedy, if they wanted too! The only reason not to track your unused travel funds on your account so you can use them is that Southwest reaps the reward of money that people forfiet because they don't remember or fail to use during the one year period allowed to use the money for future flights.

floridabound
Explorer C

This is not what I wanted to post.....Southwest posted the content for me. what I want to say is:

This is definitely a problem that Southwest could remedy, if they wanted too! The only reason not to track your unused travel funds on your account so you can use them is that Southwest reaps the reward of money that people forfiet because they don't remember or fail to use during the one year period allowed to use the money for future flights.

design2009
Explorer C

UPDATE! This option is NO LONGER AVAILABLE from Southwest!!!! I tried calling in with my credit card and they were unable to look for unused travel funds. So disappointed with Southwest!! I just lost several hundred dollars because there is NO record of old confirmation numbers on my Southwest account. So disappointed Southwest!! 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@design2009 wrote:

UPDATE! This option is NO LONGER AVAILABLE from Southwest!!!! I tried calling in with my credit card and they were unable to look for unused travel funds. So disappointed with Southwest!! I just lost several hundred dollars because there is NO record of old confirmation numbers on my Southwest account. So disappointed Southwest!! 

Try calling again. While the official statement says they can't search via credit card anymore, a more helpful rep should be able to find your funds if you can supply your travel dates. In the future, passengers should definitely keep track of their confirmation numbers themselves. You might also want to try searching your emails, if you haven't already.

Applying Travel Funds: In the event your travel plans change and you need to apply travel funds to future trips, please make note of your confirmation number. Customers calling Southwest to request a refund or to research travel funds for a specific ticket must provide their confirmation number, ticket number or flight information (date, origin and destination).

providence2010
Explorer C

Southwest needs to simply list all unused credits against the flying customers rapid rewards number in a master file.  The fact that one has to go to each individual past flight to determine what fractional amounts or fare differences remain is rediculous.  With the sophistication that exists with Southwest's web site, this is a necessary tool would benefit  frequent travelers who should be considered Southwest key customers.  By doing this, it would also encourage less frequent travelers to sign up for a rapid rewards card.  Come on guys I have a vision of a guy at Southwest rubbing his hands together waiting for the next days funds to expire...  This may be why this tool does not exist already.  Do the right thing and then advertise that you did it.  It will be worth it.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Again, this is never going to happen. Southwest considers that they are going the extra mile by just giving you the credit in the first place. Their abysmal IT department already has their hands full squashing bugs from the booking system conversion and numerous issues with the app. Implementing an on-line credit bank function would cost money, and reduce profits through the greater utilization of customers' credits. The numbers guys are running the show now. Customers will continue to need to carry the burden of tracking their credits if they don't want to lose them.

franktravel
Aviator B

The old saying "Always count your change"  When someone receive a refund they are given the amount of the credit the expiration date and are also sent an email. Most of the blame for credits going missing must go the the customer who either delete their email or don't write down the information in a safe place.  My suggestion everyone create a folder in their email and call it "Southwest Credits"  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@franktravelwrote:

The old saying "Always count your change"  When someone receive a refund they are given the amount of the credit the expiration date and are also sent an email. Most of the blame for credits going missing must go the the customer who either delete their email or don't write down the information in a safe place.  My suggestion everyone create a folder in their email and call it "Southwest Credits"  

All the information is there for us passengers to keep track of it ourselves and not let funds go to waste.

That Southwest doesn't charge a change fee and maintain such a relaxed cancelation policy is great and I'm more or less happy with status quo - I don't personally cancel too many fights without immediately rebooking the replacement.

It sure would be handy to have a search by RR number though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jmczuwala
Explorer C

Hey there ... so as of tyis posting, the only way to get access to travel funds, is to know the confirmation number? -- that is what an agent just told me --  Do I need that past confirmation number if a booking a new travel and want to access those funds? You think I would have when info while traveling and use mobile app to book a flight??? Is there anyone I can call to really find out what travel funds are available without the confirmation number?  It would be okay if I could hit southwest.com and get a historical list of flights I have cancelled so I could get the confirmation numbers, combersome, but doable; but it seems the only way I get the confirmation numbers today is if I held to some email threads -- so many things you guys do right, this seems more like that of an American Airlines shenanigan than something I would expect from SW.  Btw, did you change the refund, policy, I swear I use to always cancel and select refund to card -- it didn't let me do that today -- only allowed keep on hold for future use.

wjrobins
Explorer C

I have been a FF member with SWA for several years and, after reading the posts regarding this issue, am now convinced that the SWA organization has absolutely no intention of introducing this trivial feature to its customer-facing web application.  I have also personally complained about this several times to SWA customer service representatives. 

Given the fact that SWA's inaction is in their financial best interest - this seems to rise to the level of an unscrupulous business practice.  I will personally be filing a consumer complaint with the State of TX Attoney General's Office.  This is unfortunate given that I am a huge fan of SWA otherwise.  But - over the past few years - I know that I've inadvertently forfeited hundreds of dollars to this "travel funds black hole". 

If interested - you can also file a complaint here: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov.  /consumer-protection/file-consumer-complaint.