Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Locked hard sided case in a locked hard case

Explorer C

I flew in from Denver using a pelican 1615 with abus padlocks and now the supervisor here in Nashville says I need another locked hard sided container inside my pelican 1615 and told me to go get another case to put in my pelican. I've taken at least 10 trips this way and had no problems. I'm now stranded. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Locked hard sided case in a locked hard case

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I assume you are talking about transporting a firearm. The policy seems to match what the employee is telling you. 

• A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase must be encased in a hard-sided, locked container.

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/special-baggage-sports-equipment

--TheMiddleSeat

Explorer C

So to fly with a firearm on southwest our gun cases need gun cases? 

floridaguy
Aviator C

So how did you get the thing past TSA?

Explorer C

Because TSA only needs a locked hard case. I've floan this way for 4 years 

Explorer C

@TheMiddleSeat 

49 CFR 1540.111 (C) States:

"(C) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless -

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination."

All employees I've talked to at BNA Have stated that it is "TSA regulation" that any hard sided locked case, must have a hard sided locked case within. I asked TSA (Both online and in person) and they told me only the above CFR1540.111 applies. And further in a Pelican of the nature I have (Pelican 1615) with the locks I have (ABUS 83/45) precisely match what is allowed. The TSA supervisor I spoke to did not seem happy when I told him that Southwest was maintaining and promoting the above falsehood.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@20345532826 I am aware that Southwest's policy is different than TSA's, but unfortunately for you, Southwest does say they require the 2nd case. I suggest when you have completed your travel you write Southwest and let them know that the policy difference caused problems for you. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. This is a customer to customer forum so no one here can change Southwest policy. 

--TheMiddleSeat